gmc

gmc

I managed to deploy my Phoenix App on an external virtual server using Docker. The only thing missing is the call of “migrate” to run the migrations before the server starts.

I started using the official Phoenix Dockerfile and added a docker-compose.yml with an additional Postgres container. The server starts without migrations because of the “CMD [”/app/bin/server"]" statement and the end of the Dockerfile.

I tried to add “RUN /app/bin/migrate” just before, but then I get an error that the environment variable DATABASE_URL is missing. But actually it’s set in the docker-compose.yml file for the Phoenix container. It’s obviously set correctly as the server starts with no issues.

What is the correct way to run the migrations?

Btw. I would also like to run seeds.ex, but I guess I have to add this in the release.ex module.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

D4no0

D4no0

You should remember that you don’t have mix after you created a release version, instead you can use Ecto.Migrator for those tasks.

I’ve tried several methods of doing migrations, and the best method on running production environments is to run migration via remote console, you can do this by starting a bash console inside of your container.

Another method is to create something like a GenServer for migration and add it to your application supervision tree, this way your migrations will run automatically everytime the server is started.

If you don’t want your system to run while migration is in progress, the best bet is to create a script that will execute a rpc call to your migration function, then start the server.

gmc

gmc OP

The script /app/bin/migrate actually uses Ecto.Migrator, so this is not an issue. I struggle with the call of this in the Dockerfile.

D4no0

D4no0

instead of calling /app/bin/server call your script and at the last line start the server.

gmc

gmc OP

I tried this (the last two lines of my Dockerfile):

RUN /app/bin/migrate
CMD [“/app/bin/server”]

But there’s an error saying:
environment variable DATABASE_URL is missing

But it’s set in the docker_compose.yml:

version: “3”

networks:
internal:
external: false

services:
app:
image: server
build:
context: .
volumes:
- /etc/letsencrypt:/etc/letsencrypt
environment:
- SECRET_KEY_BASE=fsfsdfsdfsFSFSDFDSFdsfeudUVXUcvtroz2AXRzHsX9u3ZGCmR15gvLY8d
- DATABASE_URL=ecto://postgres: sdfsdftRETERT@db/ivv_server_prod
ports:
- 443:443
networks:
- internal
depends_on:
- db

db:
image: postgres
volumes:
- /var/lib/postgresql/ivv-server/:/var/lib/postgresql/data
environment:
- POSTGRES_PASSWORD=sdfsdftRETERT
- POSTGRES_DB=ivv_server_prod
networks:
- internal

D4no0

D4no0

this will not work, you are trying to execute migrations at the moment you build the container, you have to execute them when the container is started. This means that your migration script should be in last CMD.

gmc

gmc OP

I haven’t figured out how to change my Dockerfile to run migrations automatically after the firing up the server using “docker-compose up”. Anyway, this isn’t so important as I can log into the container and start the “migrate” script manually.

But I still haven’t found a solution to run seed.exs which contains all the master data. I have found threads where people are talking about using Code.eval_file. But the script stops when trying to build the path to the seed.exs file with an error saying that module mix is not available. I have this in my release module:

def seed do
  load_app()
  priv_dir = "#{:code.priv_dir(:ivv_server)}"
  seed_file = Path.join([priv_dir, "repo/seeds.exs"])
  Code.eval_file(seed_file)
end

If I don’t find a solution I will have to create an sql_loader script. Does anybody have similar requirements?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I haven’t checked but at least if you want docker run ... to “automatically” run a command then you do it e.g. like this:

# ...

ENV MIX_ENV=prod
RUN mix deps.get
RUN mix deps.compile
RUN mix compile
RUN mix release

CMD _build/prod/rel/<project>/bin/<project> eval "YourMigratorToolsModule.migrate()"

docker build ... will build everything except the final CMD whereas docker run ... will only run the last CMD, if memory serves.

But I am not sure if that even relates to doing docker-compose up. Maybe it doesn’t, haven’t checked.

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

I’m using Elixir releases with a Dockerfile similar to the one in the Phoenix guides. Here’s the last line:

CMD ["sh", "-c", "bin/app eval MyApp.Release.migrate && bin/app start"]

If the migrations fail, the app is not started and the whole deployment fails (which is what I want).

13
Post #8
gmc

gmc OP

Thanks, this is what I was looking for!

RodolfoSilva

RodolfoSilva

In addition, I would recommend to put the exec command before start the app.

CMD ["sh", "-c", "bin/app eval MyApp.Release.migrate && exec bin/app start"]

Without this You’ll not be able to use Ctrl+C to kill the process when you start the app with docker run.

In my case I’ve create a new shell file in my release folder called migrate_and_server with this:

#!/bin/sh
cd -P -- "$(dirname -- "$0")"
./app eval MyApp.Release.migrate && PHX_SERVER=true exec ./app start

Or you can just use this way:

#!/bin/sh
cd -P -- "$(dirname -- "$0")"
./app eval MyApp.Release.migrate && exec ./server

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews