mrcly
Hi,
i am running a TCP client using gen_tcp inside a GenServer, which is called by DynamicSupervisor using Supervisor.start_client(). Whenever I call this method, the output (which is logged with IO.puts) is blocking the REPL. I start the application via iex -S mix. In the future, it is planned to execute some actions when a specific message is received via TCP, but that’s not implemented currently. However, I need to perform multiple TCP-clients at once and after calling Supervisor.start_client() once, the REPL is blocked and another TCP client cant be spawned.
How can I run this TCP-Client in a background/non-blocking process?
Thanks in advance.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
evadne
Do not do the work in
init/1. Init is supposed to return quickly. Instead use continuation. See GenServer — Elixir v1.20.2. Return{:ok, state, {:continue, continue}}in yourinit/1callback and continue your setup / whatever other sort of blocking operation inhandle_continue/2.entone
Yeah, without seeing your client code, it’s hard to say why it would be blocking. Even a long running
initcallback shouldn’t block indefinitely.My guess would be that your making a blocking call from within your
initcallback.mrcly
Hey, thanks for the answer.
So in general, in my
GenServerimplementation, insideinit/1i call:gen_tcp.connect, a couple of:gen_tcp.sendfor authentication and other stuff, and at the end:gen_tcp.recvwhich calls itself recursively to receive data all the time until the client is stopped, which is possible the reason why its blocking the repl.hauleth
Yes, you should never do any “heavy lifting” stuff in
init/1, and for sure no infinite loops. You in general shouldn’t do any infinite loops ingen_serveras there is already an internal loop for that and you should rely on messages instead.entone
Here’s an example of TCP Client I’ve been using lately, this uses
active: :onceand receives messages inhandle_info, it also uses SSL instead of TCP, but the interfaces are the same, should be able to swap out:sslfor:gen_tcppretty easily.In addition it uses a
Registryto publish the messages once they’ve been properly parsed.One thing to note about receiving your messages, this one can receive multiple messages per
handle_info, so the parser is actually recursive. If your messages are null terminated, or some other termination, you can set that when you connect to the tcp socket. Check out all the options when connecting. gen_tcp — OTP 29.0.2 (kernel 11.0.2)derek-zhou
If everything is done in
init/1, then you don’t need a GenServer. Justspawn_link/3it:, ie:Now you have a supervise-able worker process just like a GenServer, except everything is in
init/1