fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

This isn’t a Phoenix question per se, it’s more of a general Elixir how to, but I would like to run some extra code when I first start up my Phoenix application. Specifically, I would like to warm up the cache with entries that are persisted in the database (e.g. session data). There might also be some ad hoc things to do on startup like ping a web URL for notification purposes etc. Where is a valid place to put code like that? Should that all go inside the Application start/2 function?

Thanks for any tips!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

hauleth

hauleth

You can run them in start/2, you can define one-shot Task in default supervisor. In other words - it depends.

For example if this is a cache it doesn’t seem to be highly critical at startup (just if something will require that data before warming up cache it will last a little bit longer) then you can run GenServer/Task that will fill that data and add it to your supervisor before Endpoint, so it is highly probable that it will run before first request came.

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

I tried adding a child to the supervision tree which boiled down to this:

defmodule MyApp.Application do
  alias MyApp.Contexts.MyContext
  use Application

  def start(_type, _args) do
    import Supervisor.Spec, warn: false
    
    children = [
      supervisor(MyApp.Repo, []),
      worker(Task, [&MyContext.warm_up_cache/0], restart: :temporary)
    ]
    
    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: MyApp.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end
end

That works, but blows up with errors when the database is down or being provisioned (which is obvious in retrospect). Instead, I think what I want in this case is a blocking task: i.e. wait to start the rest of the app until this one thing is complete.

Does someone have a good example of how to do something like this? My example here is warming up the cache.

Thanks for any guidance!

jola

jola

You want the database to be available (I assume Repo) but the app should not be accessible from the outside? Or when you say wait to start the rest of the app, what do you want to prevent happening? Doing a cache warmup seems like something that can run async, unless the cache is the only data source you have.

Maybe if you specify what parts of the app you want to start before your cache warmup and which parts that should wait until after.

eg the Statix library is started by calling connect in start. So with your code example

defmodule MyApp.Application do
  alias MyApp.Contexts.MyContext
  use Application

  def start(_type, _args) do
    import Supervisor.Spec, warn: false

    :ok = MyStatixModule.connect()
    
    children = [
      supervisor(MyApp.Repo, []),
      worker(Task, [&MyContext.warm_up_cache/0], restart: :temporary)
    ]
    
    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: MyApp.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end
end

That means connect is called before the app starts. But note that in this case, the Repo is not needed for that and not started yet.

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

In my case, sessions are in the database for analytics and persistence purposes, but from the point of view of the front-end, the only place that gets queried is in cache. It would be possible to have a fallback mechanism that would fall-back to a database lookup on cache miss, but I want to avoid doing that because doing that would open up some vulnerabilities to overloading the database.

Perhaps something like this would have the desired effect:

defmodule MyApp.Application do
  alias MyApp.Contexts.MyContext
  use Application

  def start(_type, _args) do
    import Supervisor.Spec, warn: false

    :ok = MyContext.warm_up_cache()
    
    children = [
      supervisor(MyApp.Repo, []),
    ]
    
    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: MyApp.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end
end
sdr

sdr

Application.start_phase looks like another option.

Docs are a little light but the Erlang docs go into greater detail.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews