jed

jed

Hey all
I have a small elixir program compiled using Distillery 2.0 that I want to run whenever my computer boots up.
I figured it would be straight forward because it would just be running “./bin/app start” in a service, however I get the following error(s):

sudo journalctl -xe
>-- Subject: Unit zofi.service has finished start-up
>-- Defined-By: systemd
>-- Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
>-- 
>-- Unit zofi.service has finished starting up.
>-- 
>-- The start-up result is RESULT.
> Nov 28 15:51:51 jed-nuc7i3-04 zofi[900]: erlexec: HOME must be set
> Nov 28 15:51:51 jed-nuc7i3-04 zofi[900]: Unusable Erlang runtime system! This is likely due to being compiled for another system than the host is running
> Nov 28 15:51:51 jed-nuc7i3-04 systemd[1]: zofi.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
> Nov 28 15:51:51 jed-nuc7i3-04 systemd[1]: zofi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

-erlexec: HOME must be set
Not sure where to begin here since I haven’t seen references to ‘erlexec’ in the Distillery docs thus far.

-Unusable Erlang runtime system! This is likely due to being compiled for another system than the host is running

This is also a strange one because I’m deploying it on the same computer it was made.

Maybe I’m missing something obvious here. Any ideas?

Other Info:
OS: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Elixir 1.7.4 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 20)
Distillery version 2.0.12
rel/config.exs - Using defaults.
The service: https://pastebin.com/ZJHEikFt

Showing Posts 1 to 6

NobbZ

NobbZ

How are you as a developer managing your erlang and elixir version? Are you using those provided by apt or are you using kiex, kerl, asdf, or something similar?

If the latter, make sure you use the apt installed version when building the release or create an environment using the tools which is usable by systemd.

I’m not sure about HOME and erlexec though…

alco

alco

Make sure you have set include_erts: true in your release config, this may fix the second warning.

erlexec is Erlang’s underlying binary, it starts the whole system up when you run erl. Distillery’s docs recommend using foreground instead of start here, I’d try that.

UPDATE: Just to elaborate a bit on erlexec, for posterity:

$ which erl
/usr/bin/erl

$ ls -l /usr/bin/erl
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Sep 28 19:37 /usr/bin/erl -> ../lib/erlang//bin/erl*

$ cat /usr/lib/erlang/bin/erl
#!/bin/sh

<snip>

ROOTDIR="/usr/lib/erlang"
BINDIR=$ROOTDIR/erts-10.1/bin

<snip>

exec "$BINDIR/erlexec" ${1+"$@"}
# This is the actual executable file that starts the Erlang system up
$ file /usr/lib/erlang/erts-10.1/bin/erlexec
/usr/lib/erlang/erts-10.1/bin/erlexec: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=870fd3e2d6d8ace6d2c09044bd3545659c0691a0, stripped
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

You should look at my PidFile - create and manage a PID file from the BEAM process thread, I have a systemd service description there that works well and I’ve been using for over a year now. You don’t need pid_file itself now as I think Distillery 2 baked in it’s functionality now, but check it’s docs to make sure (and to get the path to use). pid_file still works fine otherwise (I’m still using it). :slight_smile:

jed

jed OP

Thanks everyone.
Turns out I just needed to run mix release with MIX_ENV=prod to compile to a proper production version with set_include_erts set to true. When previously I was just including the flag --env=prod, thinking it was sufficient.

jed

jed OP

Cool project. I might check this out if my little project grows into into something non-trivial :slightly_smiling_face:

sahilpaudel

sahilpaudel

I did the same but still getting

/var/app/_build/prod/rel/afterglow/erts-10.3/bin/erlexec: 1: /var/app/_build/prod/rel/afterglow/erts-10.3/bin/erlexec: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
Unusable Erlang runtime system! This is likely due to being compiled for another system than the host is running
/var/app/_build/prod/rel/afterglow/erts-10.3/bin/erlexec: 1: /var/app/_build/prod/rel/afterglow/erts-10.3/bin/erlexec: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
Unusable Erlang runtime system! This is likely due to being compiled for another system than the host is running
/var/app/_build/prod/rel/afterglow/erts-10.3/bin/erlexec: 1: /var/app/_build/prod/rel/afterglow/erts-10.3/bin/erlexec: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
Unusable Erlang runtime system! This is likely due to being compiled for another system than the host is running
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews