sezaru

sezaru

Hello,

Does it make sense to create a BEAM multi-node architecture if I plan to use it in one machine only?

To elaborate a bit more… In my system a have a complex and big supervisor tree with lots of processes etc. and I need to recreate this entire tree for each external source I support.

This means that if I call my sup tree SupA, and I support sources Source1, Source2 and Source3, I will have to duplicate SupA 3 times, one for each source.

Currently, I already have that implemented, I send the source name when creating the tree so I would get a unique name for each one (and for all processes and supervisors inside SupA too).

So, for example, for Source1, I have SupA.Source1 something like that.

Making all the processes and supervisors have a unique name and keep track of that to call the right one is kind of a pain (I do use Registry in some places to make it a little bit nicer) so I was thinking if I could instead of running everything in a single node, create a node for each one of the sources with its own BEAM.

Does this make sense? What are the pros and cons of such an approach? Is it even a good idea?

If it is, how can I handle the node initialization? Should I just create a script that starts each node for me with the correct parameters or there is something nicer that handles that for me?

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

keathley

keathley

You certainly can run multiple instances of the BEAM on a single node. But my preference would be to run a single instance and use tools like dynamic supervisor and registry to start the different subtrees as needed. My primary concern with running multiple BEAMS would be performance since you’d be sharing your CPU. I also think that you’d be taking on a fair amount of operational complexity for not a lot of gain. But that might be me projecting since I’m better at managing elixir code and supervisors than I am with ops work.

tty

tty

Besides the CPU / memory constrains there is no harm in organizing your platform in this manner. We typically split a separate node for external services which can be a tad flaky coughIBM MQcough. One other advantage is migrating the busier node to a separate server at a later date.

My preference is to have a master node and a controller process spawn slave nodes. The same controller process can also monitor_node restarting errant slaves.

For your specific problem could you have one Application per source ? It is also unnecessary to have unique names per process unless you want to specifically send messages to it by name. It is quite common to rely solely on Pids.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews