fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

How can you run a .exs file from another .exs file? My inspiration comes from the basic config.exs file which runs another .exs via import_config "#{Mix.env()}.exs". I’d like to do the same type of thing, but not with just config files.

Would something like Mix.Tasks.Run.run(["path/to/my.exs"]) work in an umbrella? How does Mix know which directory is the base directory?

Thanks for any pointers!

Showing Posts 1 to 9

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir
easco

easco

According to the source, import_config calls __import__ which eventually leads to a call to Code.eval_file. elixir/lib/mix/lib/mix/config.ex at a444533db118aebb7bbeadff7b9b9985059309f8 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

This works in a single app:
Code.require_file("priv/repo/#{Mix.env()}.exs")

But when that is inside an umbrella, it doesn’t work, presumably because the path would need to be something like Code.require_file("apps/app_one/priv/repo/#{Mix.env()}.exs")

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Use Application.app_dir to build the path within a certain app.

joaoevangelista

joaoevangelista

You can use Application.app_dir/2 to fetch the file that lies inside the application folder like that:

 Application.app_dir(:myapp, ["priv/repo", "#{Mix.env()}.exs"])
 |> Code.require_file() 

The second argument will join the parts of the path and return a String

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Application.app_dir seems to work fine from the root of the umbrella, but that seems to be where my code breaks when I try to run it during a Docker deployment.

The error I get is this:

** (exit) exited in: GenServer.call(Mix.State, {:get, {Map, :get, [:env, :dev]}}, 5000)
    ** (EXIT) no process: the process is not alive or there's no process currently associated with the given name, possibly because its application isn't started
    (elixir) lib/gen_server.ex:979: GenServer.call/3
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:680: :erl_eval.do_apply/6
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:273: :erl_eval.expr/5
    (stdlib) eval_bits.erl:88: :eval_bits.eval_field/3
    (stdlib) eval_bits.erl:68: :eval_bits.expr_grp/4
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:484: :erl_eval.expr/5
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:232: :erl_eval.expr/5
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:233: :erl_eval.expr/5
ericmj

ericmj

Elixir Core Team

You can’t call mix functions at runtime because they are not available in your release. You need to evaluate Mix.env() at compile time, module attributes can help you do that:

@env Mix.env()

def foo do
  Application.app_dir(:myapp, "priv/repo/#{@env}.exs")
  |> Code.require_file() 
end
fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Brilliant, thank you! I had guessed that may have been the problem and I tried using System.get_env("MIX_ENV") – that worked too. Not every docker image involved here has Mix in it..

c4710n

c4710n

Code.eval_file/2 works, too.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews