michel.boaventura

michel.boaventura

I’m trying to understand why Elixir creates a runtime dependency when we use a module on a function clause.

For instance:

# lib/a.ex
defmodule A do
end

# lib/b.ex
defmodule B do
  def foo(A) do
    IO.inspect("A")
  end
end

Here module B has a dependency on A even though we aren’t using anything related to the module itself, it just so happens that A is an atom and also a module. If it was just an atom everything would work the same way and we (obviously) wouldn’t have a dependency.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

I don’t know the answer, but if this is an issue for you, maybe you can use the Phoenix.Router’s approach to this:

It is very common in Phoenix applications to namespace all of your routes under the application scope:

scope "/", MyAppWeb do
 get "/pages/:id", PageController, :show
end

The route above will dispatch to MyAppWeb.PageController. This syntax is not only convenient for developers, since we don’t have to repeat the MyAppWeb. prefix on all routes, but it also allows Phoenix to put less pressure on the Elixir compiler. If instead we had written:

get "/pages/:id", MyAppWeb.PageController, :show

The Elixir compiler would infer that the router depends directly on MyAppWeb.PageController, which is not true. By using scopes, Phoenix can properly hint to the Elixir compiler the controller is not an actual dependency of the router. This provides more efficient compilation times.

michel.boaventura

michel.boaventura OP

I’m using Plug alone so I don’t have the scope macro, but I ended up cooking something similar to solve the issue, but couldn’t find out why this kind of dependency is needed. Thanks for the reply!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews