mmmrrr

mmmrrr

The starting point: The Erlang ODBC client has a “bug” where it only allows 4096 bytes to be returned per cell. The Rust odbc client has no such limitations.

The reasoning: I’d like to avoid Rust for the web layer, since that would result in a lot of training for my peers.

The (probably insane) idea: Use Rustler to provide a custom “odbc driver” that can be used from Elixir.

The problem: I’d need to store the established connections somewhere in Elixir in order to pass them to the query functions and I’m not quite sure if this would work with Rustlers unsafe functions.

So the questions are:

  1. How do I return a Rust reference to a “thing” to Elixir in order to pass it again to Rust later on?
  2. Is there anything that disqualifies this idea categorically (except from the fact that it is probably a huge effort)

Showing Posts 1 to 10

hauleth

hauleth

Use NIF resource for that, you probably will need to dig in Rustler docs how to do that in Rust.

tessi

tessi

@hauleth 's suggestion is on point.

If you need an example, you could look at wasmex (GitHub - tessi/wasmex: Execute WebAssembly from Elixir · GitHub).

For example, a WebAssembly module instance has an elixir representation with an attached Rust struct. It is passed down in some methods defined here to the Rust-layer.

In Rust-land, we override the Wasmex::Native module with the respective rust functions taking that rust-struct reference.

In instance.rs you can see how to attach structs (instance in my case) to elixir objects (new_from_bytes) and how to extract structs from elixir objects (e.g. function_export_exists).

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Rustler 0.22.0-rc makes this a bit easier. It’s not very well documented but I’ve made it work mostly easily.

mmmrrr

mmmrrr OP

Could you give me a pointer (pun fully intended :smiley:), Dimitar?
I. e. what exactly is it that the new version will make easier?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Here’s something that should work with minimal changes:

use rustler::resource::ResourceArc;
use rustler::{Encoder, Env, Term};

rustler::atoms! { error, ok, }

type MyRustReturnType = YOUR_RUST_TYPE_HERE;

enum MyResult {
    Success(ResourceArc<MyRustReturnType>),
    Failure(String),
}

impl<'a> Encoder for MyResult {
    fn encode<'b>(&self, env: Env<'b>) -> Term<'b> {
        match self {
            MyResult::Success(arc) => (ok(), arc).encode(env),
            MyResult::Failure(msg) => (error(), msg).encode(env),
        }
    }
}

// or DirtyCpu, or just remove the "schedule" option and leave the clause to be simply: `#[rustler::nif]`
#[rustler::nif(schedule = "DirtyIo")]
fn something() -> MyResult {
  match function_that_can_fail() {
    Ok(rust_object) => MyResult::Success(ResourceArc::(rust_object)),
    Err(e) => MyResult::Failure(e.to_string()),
  }
}

You might need to remove the lifetime qualifiers though, can’t remember why my code needed them now. Using Rustler’s ResourceArc is crucial here; thanks to it you will receive the Rust object wrapped in a nice Erlang Reference which in the case of this function you’ll see in your iex console like so (in the case of success):

{:ok, #Reference<0.679634982.4171759622.38993>}

…or in case of failure:

{:error, "error message from Rust here"}

Then on the Elixir side you should take care to have the same something() function that Rustler will wrap and pass through to Rust (this is covered in Rustler’s guide). That’s basically it. Poke me if you need more help, Rustler could be tricky and it seems the maintainers don’t have time for it for a long time now.

mmmrrr

mmmrrr OP

Sweet! Thank you so much :slight_smile: (all of you that is ^_^)
I’ll try that once I get to that project again next week. This looks really promising.

BobbyMcWho

BobbyMcWho

I am also interested in doing this, I’m experimenting with something and will need to pass a reference to a rust object(? My rust knowledge is poor) to elixir so that I can later call other rust methods to it

mmmrrr

mmmrrr OP

@dimitarvp I tried to implement the solution you suggested with rustler 0.22.0-rc.0.
I now have the problem that the YOUR_RUST_TYPE_HERE type that I used instead does not implement the ResourceTypeProvider trait and I’m unsure how to impl that correctly… did you have to provide the trait implementation for the type you used in your application?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Doesn’t ring a bell from memory. Do you have a GitHub repo for me to look at?

EDIT: Actually this might be because you have incorrectly implemented Encoder – but not 100% sure.

mmmrrr

mmmrrr OP

Unfortunately no because the whole construct is a little complex by now…

But here is the actual code in the rust lib:

use rustler::resource::ResourceArc;
use rustler::{Encoder, Env, Term};

rustler::atoms! { error, ok, }

type DbConnection = odbx::Connection<odbx::AutocommitOn>;

enum DbConnectionResult {
    Success(ResourceArc<DbConnection>),
    Failure(String),
}

// impl ResourceTypeProvider for DbConnectionResult {
//     fn get_type() -> &'static ResourceType<Self> {
//         rustler::resource::ResourceType {}
//     }
// }

impl<'a> Encoder for DbConnectionResult {
    fn encode<'b>(&self, env: Env<'b>) -> Term<'b> {
        match self {
            DbConnectionResult::Success(arc) => (ok(), arc).encode(env),
            DbConnectionResult::Failure(msg) => (error(), msg).encode(env),
        }
    }
}

#[rustler::nif]
pub fn connect() -> DbConnectionResult {
    // Connect to database using connection string
    let connection_string = "DSN=SYA";
    match odbx::Odbc::connect(&connection_string) {
        Ok(conn) => DbConnectionResult::Success(ResourceArc::new(conn)),
        Err(e) => DbConnectionResult::Failure(String::from("Some error")),
    }
}

#[rustler::nif]
fn add(a: i64, b: i64) -> i64 {
    a + b
}

rustler::init!("Elixir.ExOdbc", [add, connect]);

odbx:: is a package I wrote to patch and adjust several rust odbc packages (which is what makes this whole thing a little complicated…)

The compiler is complaining about the Success(ResourceArc<DbConnection>), since Connection<AutocommitOn> does not implement the trait ResourceTypeProvider

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews