hectorperez

hectorperez

Hi! I’m considering LiveView for authenticated users and a normal controller for non-authenticated ones.

This is because the page might have many non-authenticated visitors who read content but probably won’t need LiveView’s features.

Does this make sense? Or is there a way in LiveView’s render to render the initial page but do not establish the socket connection? (for non-logged visitors or a different condition)

If I decided to use a normal controller for non-logged visitors and a LiveView for logged users, how could I do it in the Router? Is there a way to add a condition in the scope? or should I use a plug?

Thank you!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

hectorperez

hectorperez OP

I just saw this after a new like. I solved this by using LiveView and not connecting the socket for non-authenticated visitors — or any other condition.

Something like this:

app.js:

const main = document.getElementById("main")
if (!main || (main && main.getAttribute("data-connect-socket") != "false")) {
  liveSocket.connect()
}

live.html.heex

<main class="container" id="main" data-connect-socket={"#{assigns[:connect_socket] == nil || @connect_socket}"}>

And then in LiveView’s mount set @connect_socket to true or false.

D4no0

D4no0

This is quite a nasty approach, as every liveview route gets passed through a simple http route, you could filter that there. An addition to this, filtering on frontend is never a secure option, should I connect with a custom client, then I have access to your system?

Just use secured/unsecured routes, liveview is just an implementation detail, and it should be used whether you need interactive pages or not.

hectorperez

hectorperez OP

Thanks for your message @D4no0.

In my case, I used the same LiveView to share common behaviour but made sure to control access in the backend. So a custom client could connect the socket but wouldn’t be able to see or do anything restricted. Is this ok then? Thanks.

mayel

mayel

We do something similar except loading different JS files for connected users (live.js) vs guests (basic.js, which includes some polyfills for LV hooks and phx-click) so guests don’t have to download the LiveView JS:

common.js

import "../../deps/phoenix_html"
import Alpine from "alpinejs"
window.Alpine = Alpine
Alpine.start()

basic.js

import "./common"
import { ImageHooks } from "./image"

let Hooks = {}; 
Object.assign(Hooks, ImageHooks);

// run LiveView Hooks without LiveView
(function () {
    [...document.querySelectorAll("[phx-hook]")].map((hookEl) => {
        let hookName = hookEl.getAttribute("phx-hook");
        let hook = Hooks[hookName];

        if (hook) {
            let mountedFn = hook.mounted.bind({ ...hook, el: hookEl });
            mountedFn();
        }
    });
}) ();

function phxClick(event) {
    let name = this.getAttribute("phx-click")
    if (name.charAt(0) == "[") {
        name = JSON.parse(name)[0][1]["event"]
    }
    // go to our fallback controller which supports some LV events, and otherwise shows an explanation error message
    window.location = "/LiveHandler/" + name + "?" + new URLSearchParams(getPhxValues(this)).toString()
} 

// attempt graceful degradation for LiveView events without LiveView
(function () {
    [...document.querySelectorAll("[phx-click]")].map((el) => {
        el.addEventListener('click', phxClick);
    });
})();

function getPhxValues(el) {
    console.log(el)
    return el
    .getAttributeNames()
    .filter(name => name.startsWith("phx-value-"))
    .reduce((obj, name) => ({
        ...obj,
        [name.substring(10)]: el.getAttribute(name)
    }), {})
}

live.js

import "./common"

// Semi-boilerplate Phoenix+LiveView...
import { Socket } from "../../deps/phoenix"
import {LiveSocket} from "../../deps/phoenix_live_view"
import NProgress from "nprogress"      

let Hooks = {};  
let csrfToken = document.querySelector("meta[name='csrf-token']").getAttribute("content")
let liveSocket = new LiveSocket("/live", Socket, {
    timeout: 60000,
    params: { _csrf_token: csrfToken }, 
    dom: {
      onBeforeElUpdated(from, to) {
        if (from._x_dataStack) { window.Alpine.clone(from, to) }
      }
    }, 
    hooks: Hooks
}) 

// Show progress bar on live navigation and form submits
window.addEventListener("phx:page-loading-start", info => NProgress.start())
window.addEventListener("phx:page-loading-stop", info => NProgress.done())

// connect if there are any LiveViews on the page
liveSocket.connect()

// expose liveSocket on window for web console debug logs and latency simulation:
// >> liveSocket.enableDebug()
// >> liveSocket.enableLatencySim(1000)  // enabled for duration of browser session
// >> liveSocket.disableLatencySim()
 
window.liveSocket = liveSocket

import { ImageHooks } from "./image"
Object.assign(Hooks, ImageHooks);
Object.assign(liveSocket.hooks, Hooks);
hectorperez

hectorperez OP

Nice approach to degrade phx-click and avoid importing LiveView when we don’t want to connect the socket.

Thanks for sharing!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews