vshesh

vshesh

I have a situation where I have a pubsub, and a process receiving events from that pubsub.
I want the receiving process to update some state. That’s pretty easy with a genserver or an agent.
Then, I want another process to “sample” the process with state every second and do something.

What is the best way to accomplish this? Agent + Task?

Does that change if I want to modify the schedule at which the sampling is happening over time? (so the sampler can receive an event that changes the frequency of sampling?)

In Rx I would use a behavior and sample it with rx.sample - anything like that here welcome.

And what is the best way to expose this to the rest of my app? Should I make a mini-supervisor tree with both of these processes since they’re linked (if the receiving process goes down, no sense having the sampling process). How do I make it possible for the supervision tree to treat both of these processess together as a “single process” that can be shut down together?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

ityonemo

ityonemo

You probably want a more complex scheduler for this. Eg. Oban or Quantum.

If you don’t want something so heavyweight, you can just create a sampling genserver and in the init use :timer.send_interval/2 timer — OTP 29.0.2 (stdlib 8.0.1)

How do I make it possible for the supervision tree to treat both of these processess together as a “single process” that can be shut down together?

change the strategy from :one_for_one to :one_for_all. Or maybe :rest_for_all.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Simply pass the rate frequency as part of the server state. So You can modify it.

There is also Process.send_after.

There is an example in this tetris in Erlang, where the game loop accelarate over time.

http://www1.erlang.org/examples/small_examples/tetris.erl

ityonemo

ityonemo

I have a feeling process.send_after has some corner cases where you don’t want to use it for periodic events, since it doesn’t automatically cancel a previous firing cycle. If you’re not careful with your code you can wind up with 2x firings, 3x firings, 4x firings and so forth.

You can store the reference to your timer when you use send_interval, and that will allow you to make adjustments later, using :timer.cancel and storing a new timer ref when you rebuild the interval.

vshesh

vshesh OP

This is what I went with:

  @doc """
  :param tempo: integer, beats per minute (# of times chord plays per minute)
  """
  def init(tempo) when is_integer(tempo) do
    Phoenix.PubSub.subscribe(:inputs, "dots")
    {:ok, {nil, generate_tick(tempo}}
  end
  def handle_cast({:tempo, tempo}, {chord, tref}) do
    :timer.cancel(tref)
    {:noreply, {chord, generate_tick(tempo)}}
  end
  defp generate_tick(tempo) do
    {:ok, ref} = :timer.apply_interval(trunc(60000/tempo), __MODULE__, :play, [self])
    ref
  end
derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Since you are already using a PubSub, why don’t you just broadcast from the first GenServer every second using a different topic and let whatever interested party subscribe to it.

If you have to do polling, I’d skip GenServer, timer, sending yourself a message, etc, in the poller altogether, and just spawn off a plain process that sleeps periodically.

vshesh

vshesh OP

Not sure how to do that - the intention to do this resulted in timer, genserver, message etc.
I receive a message, then update some internal state. the “poller” or “sampler” is acting on that updated state. I’m just using one module now and I spawn the timer from there directly. Could you show how you would make it simpler?

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

It is also the case for Process.send_after, it returns a ref. And it is possible to read the elapsed time with Process.read_timer(ref), or cancel timer. I also store the ref in the server state.

Both are doing the same, but not the same way. I don’t use :timer module because it can get overloaded.

From Common Caveats — Erlang System Documentation v29.0.2

Creating timers using erlang:send_after/3 and erlang:start_timer/3, is much more efficient than using the timers provided by the timer module in STDLIB.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

It’s more common to use a map than a tuple for state…

Then it is easier to make pattern match…

%{chord: chord, tref: tref}
#
# You can pattern match nil tref with...
%{tref: nil}
# instead of 
{_, nil}
# and potentially, it's harder to remember where tref is.
{_, _, _, nil, _, _}

It’s also possible to do it with tuples, but it will be easier to pass from map to struct, than from tuple to struct. Unless You need to interface some Erlang record type, the Elixir way is to use a map.

The idea is to write a functional core, separate from any server logic.

BTW You can also replace 60000 with 60_000, it might be more readable.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Just send yourself a message using send_after then from the handler broadcast your state:

 def init(_) do
    # compute init state
    Process.send_after(self(), :tick, 1000)
    {:ok, state}
  end

def handle_info(:tick, state) do
    Phoenix.PubSub.broadcast(My.PubSub, "sample", {:sample, state})
    Process.send_after(self(), :tick, 1000)
end
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I would even go further…

  def init(_) do
    # compute init state
    period = 1_000
    ref = Process.send_after(self(), :tick, period)
    {:ok, %{period: period, tref: ref}}
  end

You can pause, resume, update the frequency rate…

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews