travisf
Locally all my images are 404 not found (haven’t tried this in production). This is a brand new implementation so I’m sure I got something mixed up along the way.
I’m using ex_aws to store images in production, but locally I am just using the filesystem. I use system configs to determine what gets uploaded where.
dev.exs:
config :app, App.Images.PostImages,
provider: App.Storage.LocalProvider,
root: Path.expand(Path.join(__DIR__, "../priv/static/images/posts")),
url_prefix: "/pics"
LocalProvider:
@doc """
This is what fetches a URL of an uploaded image
"""
@impl true
def url(%{url_prefix: url_prefix}, key, _opts \\ []) do
with :ok <- validate_key(key) do
ok({:local, Path.join(url_prefix, key)})
else
res -> {:error, res}
end
end
endpoint.ex
image_file_storage = Application.get_env(:app, App.Images.PostImages)
if Keyword.fetch!(image_file_storage, :provider) == App.Storage.LocalProvider do
plug Plug.Static,
at: "/pics",
from: Keyword.fetch!(image_file_storage, :root),
gzip: false
end
The url/3 function returns a url /pics/:image_key, which it does. And I can view the image if I navigate to ../priv/static/images/posts/:image_key but Phoenix is not finding localhost:4000/pics/:image_key. What am I missing? I’ve implemented this in other systems before, but this is the first time I’ve written all provider behaviours myself.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
codeanpeace
If the code blocks were copied directly from the app, it looks like inconsistency referencing of modules where some are prefixed with
Appand othersCiao.travisf
Sorry, that was a typo. Ciao is the name of the app, but for this post I was trying to make it more generic. It’s actually
Ciaoeverywhere.codeanpeace
Gotcha, just a sanity check
Looking at the
Plug.Staticmodule docs,Have you tried it with the preferred form?
travisf
I just gave it a shot. No luck. I’ll be working on this tonight until I either figure it out or my wife gets home so I’ll post back if I figure anything else out.
Oddly I added an inspect into the
endpoint.exIt’s showing the file in there, so the path I’m passing to
fromis a good path.One other thing I read, the
Plug.Staticshould be before:plug(CiaoWeb.Router)I moved that around still no luck.travisf
No foruther progress on this, this is the stacktrace anytime I try to access one of the image assets:
codeanpeace
Hmm, did you try a relative path from app directory for the
:rootconfig value after changing to the preferred form for:from?root: "priv/static/images/posts",Or maybe even hardcoding it in just for now like so:
from: {:ciao, "priv/static/images/posts"},travisf
Ah! That did it. Interesting, in the
dev.exsif I changeroot: Path.expand(Path.join(__DIR__, "/priv/static/images/posts"))to:root: "priv/static/images/posts"I get an error:So now I have two variables,
rootandrelative:I find that to be a bit frustrating, but this is a side project so I’m happy to leave it as is for now. Thank you so much for your help!