shahryarjb

shahryarjb

Hello, I created an issue in scrivener github, but scrivener owner closed my topic without any help or comment. but I still have a problem with this lib

my Topic:

Hello, when I use Repo.all(query) to load 49 records I have the record concerned and I have no problem all records are displayed , but when I use scrivener to load 20 records on each page like this:

  def show_error_brands(pagenumber, category_id) do
    query = from u in ErrorBrandSchema,
        where: u.category_id == ^category_id,
        order_by: [desc: u.inserted_at],
        join: c in assoc(u, :error_categories),
        select: %{
          id: u.id,
          title: u.title,
          description: u.description,
          image: u.image,
          status: u.status,
          category_id: u.category_id,
          inserted_at: u.inserted_at,
          updated_at: u.updated_at,
          category_name: c.title
        }
    Repo.paginate(query, %{page: pagenumber, page_size: 20})
  end

some data is not displayed, but they exist in my database, I use UUID

I use psql 11 and {:scrivener_ecto, "~> 2.2"} , elixir 1.9 , {:phoenix_ecto, "~> 4.0"}

Help me please
my migration:

defmodule BankError.Repo.Migrations.ErrorBrands do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def change do
    create table(:error_brands, primary_key: false) do
      add :id, :uuid, primary_key: true

      add :title, :string, size: 150, null: false
      add :short_description, :string, size: 164, null: false
      add :description, :text,  null: false
      add :image, :string, size: 200, null: false
      add :seo_alias_link, :string, size: 200, null: false
      add :seo_words, :string, size: 150, null: false
      add :seo_description, :string, size: 164, null: false
      add :status, :boolean, null: false

      add :category_id, references(:error_categories, on_delete: :nothing, type: :uuid)
      timestamps()
    end
    create(
      index(:error_brands, [:seo_alias_link],
        # concurrently: true,
        name: :unique_index_on_error_brands_seo_alias_link,
        unique: true
      )
    )
  end
end

Please help me to fix this, Thanks

my issue: scrivener dosent load some records · Issue #83 · mojotech/scrivener_ecto · GitHub

the other issue without any comment: Paginate join incorrect · Issue #61 · mojotech/scrivener_ecto · GitHub

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Try adding ordering by your uuid. If rows have the same inserted_at value ordering between them is not deterministic.

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

after clearing this line :

 order_by: [desc: u.inserted_at],

it shows me missing records, but how can order it by inserted_at, when I use UUID?

would you mind giving me a example please ?

by the way, when I add it to my query

order_by: [desc: u.id]

I have this problem and it is not fixed
Thank you

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You can order by multiple columns.

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

if you mean I should do like this!?

  def show_error_brands(pagenumber, category_id) do
    query = from u in ErrorBrandSchema,
        where: u.category_id == ^category_id,
        order_by: [desc: u.id, desc: u.updated_at],
        join: c in assoc(u, :error_categories),
        select: %{
          id: u.id,
          title: u.title,
          description: u.description,
          image: u.image,
          status: u.status,
          category_id: u.category_id,
          inserted_at: u.inserted_at,
          updated_at: u.updated_at,
          category_name: c.title
        }
    Repo.paginate(query, %{page: pagenumber, page_size: 21})
  end

it dosen’t work, but if I remove order_by line it works me , I don’t know what to do !

NobbZ

NobbZ

You should sort the other way round.

This will only consider updated_at when the ids are equal, which is unlikely to happen…

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

I really don’t know how to sort with other way !!! and I can’t understand, I used UUID then it will not equal with other record,

do you have any sample code or any way to fix this ? because it just works when the order_by line is removed without any table like:

where: u.category_id == ^category_id,
        join: c in assoc(u, :error_categories),
        select: %{
          id: u.id,
NobbZ

NobbZ

What I meant was, you should do order_by: [desc: u.updated_at, desc: u.id].

The problem with only sorting over u.updated_at is, that items with the same updated_at will be ordered randomly each time the query is sent to the DB. This is by the design of most databases. That might cause, that an item close to pagination border to hop between pages, and beeing either displayed on neither page or on both.

This might then be observed as “items appear twice” or “items are missing”.

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

Thanks, I edited my code to:

  def show_error_brands(pagenumber, category_id) do
    query = from u in ErrorBrandSchema,
        where: u.category_id == ^category_id,
        order_by: [desc: u.updated_at, desc: u.id],
        join: c in assoc(u, :error_categories),
        select: %{
          id: u.id,
          title: u.title,
          description: u.description,
          image: u.image,
          status: u.status,
          category_id: u.category_id,
          inserted_at: u.inserted_at,
          updated_at: u.updated_at,
          category_name: c.title
        }
    Repo.paginate(query, %{page: pagenumber, page_size: 21})
  end

and it shows me the missing records, but after reading your text, I am afraid this would happen again in the future :expressionless: :pleading_face: :cold_sweat:

NobbZ

NobbZ

Only if they have the same updated_at and id. And I hope id will not clash ever :smiley:

Adding the id to the sorted_by is a trick to stabilize the usually unstable sort.

Any column that is guaranteed to have unique values among the result set is fine. For id its easy to guarantee and therefore its used quite often.

acrolink

acrolink

Informative, thanks @NobbZ.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews