tmvsiva

tmvsiva

Newbie here:

I have a simple application that starts with the Supervisor. It periodically IO.puts some diagnostic information.

Is it possible to run the application with “iex -S mix” and retain a windowed command line within iex so that I can see clearly what commands I am typing and yet see the diagnostic information scroll by above?

Right now anything I type will be interleaved with the program output. Any help would be most appreciated.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

sahilpaudel

sahilpaudel

Can you please show the output here like what are you trying to run and what you getting ?

Bascially you can start you application with

iex -S mix

and run commands within the application context.

NobbZ

NobbZ

No, the feature you are asking for is currently not supported in iex, and will probably need to be supported in erl first, as iex is mostly just a shallow wrapper around it.

tmvsiva

tmvsiva OP

Noted, NobbZ. Thank you.

I think I made the classic error of not explaining my problem but instead diving into an attempted (imagined) solution.

What I am really looking for is a clean way to interact with an already running system using iex — changing state variables for example. Maybe this needs to be in a separate window from the text output of that system. I think I’ve seen demos of Elixir with people doing that.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Well, you can start one node that just dumps your logs, and connect a remote shell.

Or you dump your logs to a file, not doing IO based calls at all, but Logger only. Start with iex -S mix and enjoy the clean shell, have a second terminal that does tail -f on the logfile(s).

tmvsiva

tmvsiva OP

I didn’t know about nodes at all. Digging into it now, many thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews