phunsukh1

phunsukh1

Hello All,
I am building a small website using Elixir/Phoenix and Mnesia as the backend database. The site is simple so mnesia works for us. I added ecto3_mnesia to use some of the Ecto’s functionality. Everything works great. We ran into a small issue when trying to search for a text. sort of like Postgresql’s like functionality.

Is there anyway to use like with mnesia?. If that is not an option, how can i search for a pattern using Enum? i.e., if i have a list of maps, I want to search for a text within some fields in the map.

Appreciate your help.
Regards,
Phunsukh

Showing Posts 1 to 2

ericgray

ericgray

It would help if you could show us an example of what you’re trying to accomplish. A sample list of maps and what kind of text are you trying to find. Also what have you tried so far.

APB9785

APB9785

Creator of ECSx

I’m sure Mnesia provides a proper way to do it, but just to answer your second question about Enum, you can easily search through maps with something like:

Enum.filter(
  list_of_maps,
  &Enum.find(&1, fn {_key, value} ->
    String.contains?(value, search_query)
  end)
)

This will return all maps where search_query was found in the values. If you only want to return the first map where search_query was found, just replace Enum.filter with Enum.find. In this naive example it will search all fields because key is ignored, but you could search specific fields with a variety of simple methods, such as pattern matching, adding a guard, or simply Kernel.and/2. And if it’s just a single field you can remove Enum.find entirely:

Enum.filter(list_of_maps, fn m ->
  String.contains?(m[search_field], search_query)
end)
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews