nduitz

nduitz

Hey there,

I got a little frustrated with our current workflow regarding secrets in phoenix projects. Keeping them in sync was a mess. As we also work with rails we got used to storing our secrets encrypted in git.
I couldn’t find a library that satisfied our needs so I decided to build one myself.

Since this is my first time publishing something I am a little excited. So excited that I forgot to include the link the first time I posted this.

I present to you: SecretMana
A library to programmatically encrypt/decrypt your secrets stored directly within your code base. This way you only need to exchange one secret instead of keeping .env files in sync.
The library is built to support multiple backends to be able to cover your needs as well.

Since I’d rather have the encrypting/decrypting part done by pros I built my library upon GitHub - FiloSottile/age: A simple, modern and secure encryption tool (and Go library) with small explicit keys, no config options, and UNIX-style composability. · GitHub, so a huge thanks to FiloSottile!

This is a very early release and SecretMana is very rough around the edges.
I am not 100% happy with everything I build here so I am happy about every feedback I get.

Also note that the tests are currently 100% ai generated. I just wanted to have something but didn’t have the time yet to take a closer look.

So there is a lot to be done:

proper testing
proper documentation (including some recipies)
CI/CD
…much more

https://github.com/nduitz/secret_mana

Thanks,
Nick

Showing Posts 1 to 2

txssu

txssu

Have you seen SecretVault? Could be what you’ve been looking for.

nduitz

nduitz OP

Hey :slight_smile:
Yes I’ve seen your package before, thanks for your work!
Although being similar, I decided to start something myself as it aimed to integrate existing setup into my project.

If you’ll allow it i’ll link your project for a dependency-less alternative in my readme :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12316 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews