fireproofsocks
I’m a bit confused as to how Ecto works with seeded data when it is conducting its tests. What EXACTLY is the flow when you commence a test run (whether it be all of them via “mix test”, or only a specific file, or a specific test by specifying a line number)? Does the testing database get seeded in this process?
For example, I have some data (e.g. a list of countries) that should be the same in all environments. Do I need to explicitly seed that in the testing database? I have other data that I COULD seed ONLY in the test database just to help write thorough integration tests. How should that be best accomplished?
Thanks for any guidance!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
mix testwon’t seed your database, because nothing will cleanup the data which was inserted outside of the sandbox transactions of single tests. Also having those countries seeded would mean they are the same to all tests, which imho can be as annoying as any other global state in your system. I’d rather opt for inserting those countries via a Factory on demand, so you can control on a per test basis which countries are in the database.fireproofsocks
How do you make a factory that would seed the testing database? If I run the seed operation using mix, it will by default get added to my dev database. Thanks!
dimitarvp
Try ex_machina.
fireproofsocks
Interesting… but that generates random data. I’m really needing to seed specific data for some pretty specific tests… especially when some of the end-to-end tests in our architecture are further downstream.
LostKobrakai
A factory is about making it easy to inserts some data into the database. If it’s random or not is more about what you need. In a simple case it could just be a module, which you wrote, that does add some data to the db.
fireproofsocks
Thank you, this is helpful – I need some time to digest it.