Erynn

Erynn

suppose genstage have one producer and many consumer for push notification in a chat application and each consumer subscribe that one producer. now tell me, after subscribing that single producer, consumer will ask notification from producer. how producer will send my group notification because all group are sending notifications to only that single producer?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I think notifications does not have the same meaning here…

In Genstage, the demand comes from the consumer, the producer is just delivering data. It never goes the other way around.

Erynn

Erynn OP

see this blog, in this blog they say they have one producer per machine and many consumers and consumer subscribe certain producer and when consumer receive this handle_subscribe then consumer use GenStage.ask and when producer receive in handle_demand, it do nothing according to blog.

suppose in a chat system when a channel have to send notification it use this GCM.PushCollector.push function to send to producer and then in handle_cast, it send to all subscriber consumers.

now i want to know how producer determing which notification it have to send to which consumer, if it send all notifications to all subscribe consumers then it will increase overload?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

There is no such thing for the producer. The producer cannot select which consumer will handle an event. However the dispatcher behaviour might be able to route events to certain consumers: GenStage.BroadcastDispatcher — gen_stage v1.3.2

This will make things more complicated as back pressure will still be applied globally. So if one specific type of event slows down I think processing of all events will slow down. Even if not the other option would be a growing buffer in the dispatcher, which also eventually becomes a problem.

Erynn

Erynn OP

ok give me solution,

in discord blog it says, one producer per machine that means many consumers subscribe same producer.

then how discord producer send notifications to certain consumer if producer does not filter according to blog(i mean how discord producer rotate notification to crrtain user)?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

That expects they require a certain consumer to handle the notification in the first place. At best the genstage consumers don’t care which notification they handle – they just handle whatever they get. Looking at the blog post that seems to be the case for discord as well.

Erynn

Erynn OP

one last question,

if i am member of 25 groups then i should have to start 25 consumers?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews