Rtransat

Rtransat

Hi,

I have a project idea for my homelab. It’s a plex/jellyfin alternative and I’m thinking about my stack, for now I was thinking about Go, Rust or Elixir.

With Go I need to call ffmpeg and ffprobe with exec.Command
With Rust there is ffmpeg-next
With Elixir and GenServer but now I just discovered the existence of Membrane :open_mouth:

The thing is, I don’t know Rust and Elixir :sweat_smile: (but I have time to learn, it’s a side project)

Basiclly the app need

  • an API to show the media from a sqlite DB
  • the db will be filled by scanning shared folder
  • fetch the movie/tv show from TMDB (for example)
  • scan the shared folder and use ffprobe to get media info (length, codec, etc)
  • ffmpeg to generate thumbnail
  • ffmpeg to transcode (if needed)
  • ffmpeg to stream (HLS)

I’m wondering about Membrane CPU usage during transcodage because my goal is to have the app running on small machine (2vcpu min and 6 vcpu max will be great)

And I don’t know how to package an elixir app (.deb, .exe, binary) with an easy install like Plex for example.

I’d love to try with Elixir/Phoenix and Membrane but don’t know about CPU usage and I like strictly typed languages.

Thank you :smiley:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews