catra

catra

I have a Postgres view with 4 columns, two of them contains numbers. I want to create a function to get the sum of the elements depending on the column name.

This query is working well:

def sum_by_colum(column) do
  Repo.aggregate(VwClientNodeBatteryStatus, :sum, column)
end

But I want to use something like:

from(vw in VwClientNodeBatteryStatus,
    select: sum(vw.^column))

Because I can use Repo.one to get the popular {:ok, result} tuple. But I’m getting the following error:
`vw.^(column) is not a valid query expression. If you want to invoke vw.^/1 in a query, make sure that the module vw is required and that ^/1 is a macro

I guess Elixir/Ecto thinks that I have vw is a function. =S

Showing Posts 1 to 2

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

You’ll want to use field/2 (Ecto.Query.API — Ecto v3.14.0) to dynamically reference column names.

Untested code, but something like:
select sum(field(vw, ^column))

catra

catra OP

@gregvaughn You are the best! Thank you!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Chat/Questions Top

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews