LawJolla

LawJolla

I’ve looked for the duplicate answer. If I’ve missed it, please link it so I can delete this question.

In the Ecto docs many_to_many example, what’s the best way to get the timestamps returned from users_organizations when following the post/tags query example? e.g.

# Get all users for a given organization
organization = Repo.get(Organization, 1)
users = Repo.all(assoc(organization, :users))
# How to get timestamps from users_organization (when user joined organization)?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

lukerollans

lukerollans

I think this is a great example of where join schemas shine. Assuming you have a schema defined as such…

defmodule YourApp.UserOrganization do
  use Ecto.Schema

  schema "users_organizations" do
    belongs_to :organization, YourApp.Organization
    belongs_to :user, YourApp.User

    timestamps()
   end

   ....
end

You could run a query like so

organization_id = 1

YourApp.UserOrganization
|> where([uo], uo.organization_id == ^organization_id)
|> preload(:user)
|> Repo.all

Disclaimer: I prefer the pipeline syntax for Ecto queries, feel free to switch over to from if you like :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, you have a list of UserOrganization structs which include the timestamps of when the user joined the organization. If you need to access the user itself, just use the assoc (which was preloaded above for demonstration).

LawJolla

LawJolla OP

Thank you, it works perfectly!

I had tunnel vision. I thought that I had to start with Organization… because that’s the id I had. Query UserOrganization with the organization_id… duh. I’m very comfortable in SQL, so in many to many, I always think to search a table, join the link table, then join the other table.

Quick tangential question… your query returns a list of structs. Inside the structs are nested structs keyed by the schema name, e.g.

[
 
 %UserOrganization{
     inserted_at:...
    user: %User{
      email: "email"
      ...
    }
 }
]

Outside of naming each field in a select statement, is there a way to unnest the structs so it’s all at the same level, e.g.

[
  %UserOrganization{
     inserted_at: ...
     email: "email",
    ...
  }
]

Thank you again. Huge help.

lukerollans

lukerollans

Outside of naming each field in a select statement, is there a way to unnest the structs so it’s all at the same level, e.g.

Nope, by definition structs can only contain fields they’re defined with. It’s impossible for %UserOrganization.email to be a thing, unless you actually add it to the schema.

Glad it helped, though! Remember to mark it as solved so others can get help, too :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews