Send an email when stuff breaks

Hello!

I am an Elixir/Phoenix newbie coming from the Python/Django world. Phoenix has been a very different beast for me compared to Django, and I am trying to embrace its ways and leave thinking in Django terms for when I am writing Python. However, I am missing Django’s logging AdminEmailHandler which would email me whenever there is an uncaught exception (i.e. whenever a 500 response happens). What would be a simple way to do something like that in Phoenix? Or perhaps: do I do something like that in the first place or I am being too paranoid? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Welcome pavelsof! Sounds like you need something like AppSignal or Sentry. You’re not being paranoid at all. That’s an essential thing to have when it comes to important production systems. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I still haven’t had a chance to play with it much yet, but I believe this is exactly what Boom sets out to do. Might be worth giving it a shot.

4 Likes

I was going to say, but I didn’t know if there’s already something like BoomNotifier. AppSignal and Sentry are great tools but the former may cost too much for small projects and the latter is not easy to self-host and maintain. So BoomNotifier looks like a good-enough solution for monitoring exceptions in small and simple apps. :+1:

Thank you both!

I have been using third-party services at work, but I feel it is a bit too much for a small project, probably because I would feel that I am attaching too much importance to it :smiley: …and I can confirm that self-hosting Sentry is not fun.

Boom looks nice (and quite an appropriate name, too!), I will give it a try.