Sebb
I’m facing a problem like this one here: Multi-select with Alpine.js - Help - Livewire Forum - send the currently selected options from a custom multiselect (implemented in alpine, I’m using this one here: Multi select alpine js | Alpinejs, Buttons, Forms, Selects).
There is already a thread about this (I can’t find right now) and I think the easiest way to do it is with a hook:
Hooks.RelayHook = {
mounted() {
relay = this
document.addEventListener('relay-event', (e) =>
relay.pushEvent(e.detail.event, e.detail.message),
)
},
}
...
window.dispatchToLV = function (message) {
let relay_event = new CustomEvent('relay-event', {
detail: message,
})
document.dispatchEvent(relay_event)
}
<div id="relay-hook-el" phx-hook="RelayHook" hidden></div>
But now seeing, that livewire can do it out of the box, I’d like to ask if there is a better way and if not, I think there should be a better way.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
soup
Not sure I quite understand the question.
If you are ok to alter the shown component, you can add
phx-click={JS.push("selected_option", value: %{id: id})}on the “drop down option div”, which would ping an event out for each separate option cilck. You would have to track theremoveevent separately and do all the list maintenance yourself. You could wrap this in an functional component.You could also adjust the given component to dispatch a custom event when a selection change occurs, and that event could contain all the options selected. Have a hook that catches that and pushes all the options in one go. There was a talk at this years ElixirConf about using custom html components which would fit this very well if you wanted to drop alpine. I assume this is what you’ve basically already done.
Or you could generate a small form inside the dropdown with alpines
x-for, with hidden inputs and generate asubmitevent on it when selection changes and use the normalphx-submit/changestuff. This will have issues embedding in other forms but you could just use the form it’s embedded in in that case.The hooks probably the easiest to maintain in the end I think. One event with the whole set of selected options. Phoenix LiveViews provided events aren’t designed to be “input specific” (i.e. you cant
phx-changeon an<input>), so it’s not really designed to work like LiveWire’s model binding, I would think.Sebb
Sorry, the question was a little sloppy.
I just stumbled upon that livewire post and thought, that they have a simple way to just send arbitrary events to the server - I’d like to have that for LV. With LV the only way to do this is with a hook (right?). The hook is OK, but the element I need in the HTML is a little annoying.
But I think I did not understand the livewire solution right, they just simulate an
inputevent. I can do the same with LV:Phoenix.HTML.multiple_selectfor this<select>by toggling<option selected ...>phx-changewithsee: JavaScript interoperability — Phoenix LiveView v1.2.5
Now the fancy-alpine-multiselect behaves just like a
multiple_select. Nice.So I do not need to send a custom even here, but still it would be nice if it was possible.
derek-zhou
FOr non-UI related general event, I use a hook on the base container of my liveview.
Sebb
like this?
why did I never think of that?