owaisqayum

owaisqayum

I am trying to send messages to all local nodes periodically about a leader selection. I am using 4 nodes currently

[:"n1@127.0.0.1", :"n2@127.0.0.1", :"n3@127.0.0.1", :"n4@127.0.0.1"]

Leader module

defmodule Worm.Leader do
  def leader_election() do
    nodes =
      ([Node.self()] ++ Node.list())

    max = Enum.max(nodes)

    Enum.each(nodes, fn node -> send_leader_info(node, max) end)
  end

  def send_leader_info(node, max) do
    Process.send_after(node, {:leader, max}, 200)
  end
end

Genserver

@impl GenServer
  def handle_info({:leader, max_node}, state) do
    Logger.info("--- New Leader is: #{state}")

    # Reschedule once more
    Worm.Leader.leader_election()

    {:noreply, state}
  end

I get this result

send: #Reference<0.2477235930.2055208966.145218>
send: #Reference<0.2477235930.2055208966.145221>
send: #Reference<0.2477235930.2055208966.145224>
send: #Reference<0.2477235930.2055208966.145227>

But I am not able to see any periodic message on any connected node. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 10

hauleth

hauleth

You are sending messages, but you have never specified to which process you want to send them. This mean, that it treats it as an process names in local registry, so in the end these messages goes nowhere.

Aetherus

Aetherus

Process.send_after/3 needs a pid or a process name as the first argument, but you gave it a node name.

Here’s part the documentation of Process.send_after/3:

If dest (the first arg) is a PID, it must be the PID of a local process, dead or alive. If dest
is an atom, it must be the name of a registered PROCESS which is looked up at
the time of delivery. No error is produced if the name does not refer to a
process.

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

How can i specify processes on a node, as I need the messages to display on other nodes like a heartbeat.

hauleth

hauleth

You need to either use named processes or send PIDs of the quorum members by other way.

Aetherus

Aetherus

Kernel.send/2 can take {process_name, node_name} as the first arg, where process_name is an atom. You have to workaround it in order to delay the sending, for example, send to self() a message after 200ms, and when that message is consumed, use Kernel.send/2 to send a message to the remote processes.

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

I have modified the function send_leader_info\2 by spawning the node but still am getting nothing on remote nodes.

def send_leader_info(node, max) do
    node_pid = spawn(fn -> node end)

    Process.send_after(node_pid, {:leader, max}, 200)
    |> IO.inspect(label: :send)
end
ruslandoga

ruslandoga

Assuming you want to receive the messages in your GenServer process, you can start the genserver with a name and send messages to {genserve_name, node_name}.

  def start_link(opts) do
    # starting genserver with a name
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, opts, name: SomeName)
  end

  @impl GenServer
  def handle_info({:leader, max_node}, state) do
    Logger.info("--- New Leader is: #{state}")

    # Reschedule once more
    Worm.Leader.leader_election()

    {:noreply, state}
  end
defmodule Worm.Leader do
  def leader_election() do
    nodes =
      ([Node.self()] ++ Node.list())

    max = Enum.max(nodes)

    Enum.each(nodes, fn node -> send_leader_info(node, max) end)
  end

  def send_leader_info(node, max) do
    # sending to {SomeName, node} instead of node
    Process.send_after({SomeName, node}, {:leader, max}, 200)
  end
end

See GenServer — Elixir v1.12.3 for more info

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

Just a small tip - you can do

nodes = [Node.self() | Node.list()]

instead of:

nodes = ([Node.self()] ++ Node.list())
owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

getting an argument error

2nd argument: not a pid or an atom
:erlang.send_after(200, {SomeName, :"n1@127.0.0.1"}, {:leader, :"n1@127.0.0.1"})

So {SomeName, :"n1@127.0.0.1"} should be a pid or an atom :frowning:

ruslandoga

ruslandoga

Try with send({SomeName, :"n1@127.0.0.1"}, {:leader, :"n1@127.0.0.1"}), does it work? :erlang.send_after indeed doesn’t allow sending to remote nodes.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews