Senior Backend Engineer - Airnity, Remote, France

Introductory paragraph

TL;DR: Elixir, Monitoring, Zero downtime, DB migration, K8S

We’re looking for a versatile profile to join our Software Engineering team to design, develop, and test functionalities on network elements and the network infrastructure management.

Our solution at scale – :chart_with_upwards_trend:100M+ SIM cards & :globe_with_meridians:Global coverage

About us

My name: Sebastien Moran
My position: Engineering Helper / Facilitator
Company name: Airnity
Company website: www.airnity.com
Company headquarters (country): France
Company info and history:

Airnity is a rapidly growing French company in the telecommunications field. We are a mobile operator serving automotive manufacturers and helping them meet the challenge of ultra-connected vehicles.

One of our strengths as a Telecom operator is that we heavily use “cloud-native” technologies. This allows us to have an extremely agile approach to our business and position ourselves as a viable alternative to traditional players.

As we are organized as a Holacracy, you will have complete freedom to propose the role or roles you wish to take on in order to best benefit the team with your experience. You can also develop new skills by choosing other roles.

Airnity is a full-remote company, allowing you to work from anywhere in France. If you are located in the Toulouse or Nice region, there is also the possibility of occasional co-working.

More details about us, our environment, culture & values »

About the job

Job title: Senior Backend Engineer
Job description: Within the Engineering team, you will be involved in designing, developing, and operating our system to meet our needs as a Telecom operator.
Position on remote work: Remote, France
Qualifications or experience required:

• You have experience as a Backend Engineer.
  • You have previously messed up a production database migration.
  • Deploy in multiple steps to avoid downtime resonates with you.
  • Seeing the test suite pass gives you a particular satisfaction.
  • You speak French and comfortable with English.

Bonus points:

• You have past experiences with Elixir
  • OSS/BSS rings a bell with you

What the successful job applicant will be working on:
You will be tasked with working on:

• Business back-ends - managing users and subscriptions
  • Technical back-ends - implementing and managing Telecom functions​

No prior knowledge of Telecom specifics is required – you will receive training on this during the development process.

Your responsibilities will include:

• Design and architecture
  • Selection of technologies to implement
  • System development
  • Implementation of continuous integration and deployment
  • Writing automated tests
  • Operating the solutions

Our technology stack:

• AWS, GCP
  • Kubernetes
  • PostgreSQL, Kafka
  • Elixir, Rust
  • ArgoCD & CrossPlane
  • GitHub

About the interview process

• Apply by sending your resume and a few words if you feel like it
  • 30 minutes video call with me for a quick intro about you & us to understand who you are what you want to do and don’t want to do :smile:
  • 30-60 minutes video call with 2 of your future colleagues to go deeper on your past experiences / challenges / successes :muscle:
  • 30 minutes video call with our CTO to discuss around technologies and our challenges :nerd_face:
  • Final video call with our CEO to discuss perspectives & compensation :rocket:

Further info

Find this job offer on our website – Senior Backend Engineer | Airnity – for more details, other positions and to apply.

7 Likes

Very intriguing job ad!

Will apply for sure.

2 Likes

How strict is the “remote from anywhere in France” requirement?
This might be relevant for you as well @dimitarvp :slight_smile:

So… I think that the strictest requirement is around “speaking French”… I totally failed on making it more clear… I’m sorry for that :slightly_frowning_face:

We are not ready to onboard non-French speaking people yet.

We write everything in English but we are hesitant in making the switch verbally… It’s a shame and I realize it even more now that we mostly received application from people outside of France :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Eh, pity. I believe you’re missing out, and we don’t need to talk with our colleagues hours at a time every day anyway.

Shame. :confused:

I know… raaah… Bear with me, I’ll bring the topic to Monday’s Engineering Tactical meeting.

Let’s see what happens :sweat_smile:

I’ll still apply and leave that hot potato on your lap.

Good luck! :003:

1 Like

Please do, we’ll at least have a first call together :grinning:

any chance ya’ll are comfortable with spanish :grin: ?

I am and a couple of others are too but that is definitely not an option :sweat_smile:

I opened the Pandora box :joy:

1 Like

Does French from Quebec count? :innocent:

2 Likes

C’est correc’ ! :grin: But now, we fall in the time zone issue :dotted_line_face:

I’m Portuguese and I can totally understand oral French and written too (both latin, helps a lot). I can’t keep a conversation because I don’t speak fluently, but I used to have French classes when I was a boy - English didn’t become the “lingua franca” until later - so I’m sure I can pick it up again rather quickly. Plus I’ve worked with French stakeholders from 2017 to 2022 (ESUP-Portail).

This said, would it make sense to apply?

1 Like

so did I, too bad I have competition :wink:

1 Like

I’m Portuguese and I can totally understand oral French and written too (both latin, helps a lot). I can’t keep a conversation because I don’t speak fluently, but I used to have French classes when I was a boy

I would love to learn more portuguese would you be interested in an exchange were I teach you French (I am not French born but after > 25 years and as a French citizen my French seems good enough) Skype would be nice I guess.

But anyway Portuguese folx generally learn French very very quickly.

Gosto muito d’isso idioma mas não e facil para um veilho como sou eu :wink:

I ja ha dois rasões (sp?) para apprender o portugûes Lua i Elixir, não?

1 Like

That’s pretty good, actually. Conveyed the message perfectly.
I actually didn’t know Lua was “Brazilian” - although I suspected it would be too much of a coincidence :slight_smile:

Obrigadinho, but let us remain respectful and talk about Elixir, is it not funny how lua and elixir really cover all my programming needs (nvim mostly for lua, I mean the other way round :confused: ).

You just need to drop the -o and -a and voilà, you can speak French :smiley:

1 Like

So ! I did not run away with the topic :sweat_smile:

We had a first discussion internally. First feedback is that, as a company we may have to recruit outside of France in other “Circles”/teams than Engineering and thus be “forced” to switch :grin: – we better anticipate/be ready.

Next steps for us, is a dedicated workshop during our next Meetup in November, to go into more details, identify impacts, and address possible fears.

TBH, all the applications we received and discussions I had/have in this forum went way over our expectations and make us want to really think about it :sweat_smile: – probably not for this position, but we have more positions to come in the near future.

To those who applied to drop their resume in case we evolve in the future :pray: – we’ll definitely keep them handy. @dimitarvp I did not receive yours, yet :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I’ll reply to everyone, just got overwhelmed :ocean:

3 Likes

You’ll have it by Monday.

1 Like