theScore , a wholly-owned subsidiary of PENN Entertainment , empowers millions of sports fans through its digital media and sports betting products. Its media app ‘theScore’ is one of the most popular in North America, delivering fans highly personalized live scores, news, stats, and betting information from their favorite teams, leagues, and players. theScore’s sports betting app ‘theScore Bet Sportsbook & Casino’ delivers an immersive and holistic mobile sports betting and iCasino experience. theScore Bet is currently live in the Company’s home province of Ontario. theScore also creates and distributes innovative digital content through its web, social and esports platforms.
My name: Maiwand Nessar
My position: Manager, Technical Recruitment
Company name: Score Media and Gaming Inc.
Company website: https://www.scoremediaandgaming.com/
Company headquarters (country): Canada
Company info and history: About | Score Media and Gaming Inc.
What We Do
Our mission is to become the leader in sports fan experience in every market we enter. We are a remote friendly, globally distributed team with a relentless focus on delivering sports fans the ultimate, personalized mobile experience. Scale is what we do, and you need to think big. Billions of push notifications per month, handling hundreds of millions of API calls per day, delivering data in real time to millions of fans. The work you do will contribute to how we scale at theScore. Our product development lifecycle is collaborative by design. Everyone brings unique points of view and you have the opportunity to be an owner; to help shape and define what you build.
How We Do It
We cultivate an environment where you can master your craft and grow. Opportunities to experiment, innovate and elevate the state of the art at theScore. We run a distributed Elixir stack spanning hybrid multi-cloud infrastructure that supports millions of clients. Our backend stack runs on Elixir/Phoenix, Ruby/Rails, Kotlin, GraphQL, gPRC, Kafka, Postgres and Kubernetes. Our frontend and mobile teams use the latest technologies: Swift, Kotlin, and React, to build fully native, modern mobile and web apps.
Job title: Senior Elixir Developer
About the Role & Team
As part of the theScore team, you will be working with a team of smart, friendly, and dedicated Engineers, Product Managers and Designers determined to deliver some of the best apps the market has to offer. We want you to be challenged and to get the full experience of what it’s like to work at theScore!
About the Work
- Working with our preferred technology stack (Primarily Elixir/Phoenix, LiveView and/or Ruby on Rails).
- Develop, scale, and optimize amazing GraphQL, RESTful APIs and gRPC as required by individual services.
- Be part of our backend service teams supporting web and mobile clients.
- Participate in the design, architecture, and delivery of new features in a collaborative agile/scrum environment.
- Other duties as required.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, distributed systems, algorithms and software design.
- Passionate about clean code architecture and software craftsmanship.
- Experience with modern web framework and API development (Phoenix, Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, Django, Node).
- Experience with Git and GitHub or similar.
- A strong grasp and experience with relational databases; including PostgreSQL and MySql.
- Experience with background job processing (Exq, Sidekiq, Celery, Beanstalk, Kafka, RabbitMQ).
- Comfortable working in the terminal.
- Proficiency within an editor of your choice.
- Experience with testing frameworks such as ExUnit, RSpec, Jest, pytest or equivalent.
- Experience working with profiling tools.
- Knowledge and familiarity with caching strategies and tools.
- Consuming and integrating with third party APIs.
What We Offer
- Ship features that impact millions of users.
- Work on large distributed systems spanning public cloud and on-prem locations.
- Learn how to manage workloads, at scale, running on Kubernetes
- Contribute to a federated GraphQL API used by millions of clients.
- Top of the line office hardware
- Competitive compensation package
- Education and conference reimbursements.
- Opportunities for career progression and mentoring others
Position on remote work: Hybrid within Toronto or Remote within Canada ONLY
About the interview process
3 Steps Interview Process:
- Spot Check: a 30-minute exploratory chat with a Technical Recruiter
- Briefcase: 2 hours interview, which consists of a 60-minute coding and another 60-minute System Design whiteboard session.
- Know Your Candidate (KYC): a 60-minute in-depth Q&A with prospective hiring manager/s to determine team fit among other things. The interviewers will engage in an open-ended conversation to learn about you, your projects, your current environment, challenges and so on.