Senior Elixir Software Engineer - Enzai, Belfast, Remote Northern Ireland (GMT ~ +/- 2)

Introductory paragraph

Enzai is looking for a talented senior Elixir software engineer who is an experienced problem solver, able to break down complex issues into actionable steps and tasks. The ideal candidate will have a passion for writing clean, maintainable and scalable code, and be willing and eager to share their knowledge with others on the team. They will bring a sense of curiosity to their work, always striving to find the best, and most appropriate, solutions for the task at hand. They should take pride in crafting robust systems that are built to last.

About us

My name: Jack Carlisle
My position: Founder
Company name: Enzai
Company website: https://www.enz.ai
Company headquarters (country): Northern Ireland
Company info and history: At Enzai, we’re on a mission to ensure that AI is safe and trustworthy for the future. Our software helps companies understand and manage the risks that come with building and deploying AI, whilst meeting their emerging regulatory requirements.

We’re a small team of lawyers and engineers, backed by some of the best venture capital funds in Europe. AI has enormous potential, and we want to make sure it fulfils that…with your help. This is an opportunity for someone ambitious, looking to play a key role in the core engineering team at a high-growth startup.

Our tech stack mainly consists of Elixir, Phoenix and LiveView. We’re using a PostgreSQL database and everything is deployed to AWS with Terraform. We have containerised our stack with Docker for ease of portability for on-prem deployments.

About the job

Job title: Senior Elixir Software Engineer
Job description: Enzai is looking for a talented senior Elixir software engineer who is an experienced problem solver, able to break down complex issues into actionable steps and tasks. The ideal candidate will have a passion for writing clean, maintainable and scalable code, and be willing and eager to share their knowledge with others on the team. They will bring a sense of curiosity to their work, always striving to find the best, and most appropriate, solutions for the task at hand. They should take pride in crafting robust systems that are built to last.
Salary range: ÂŁ70-85K
Position on remote work: We are remote first but also have office space in Belfast + London if preferable (remote roughly within GMT +/- 2).
Qualifications or experience required: 4+ years of professional software development experience with an expert-level knowledge of Elixir. They should have experience in building, deploying and maintaining scalable systems.
What the successful job applicant will be working on: They will be working on a range of different projects across our ever-evolving roadmap. These projects will be high-impact and will consist of applications and features led entirely by user testing and feedback. Responsibilities will consist of, and include:

• Designing, building and maintaining efficient, reusable and reliable code
  • Leading projects and features throughout the full software development lifecycle
  • Writing clean, well-documented and well-tested code
  • Participating in code reviews and providing constructive feedback to other engineers
  • Identifying and advocating for impactful improvements to code quality and system architecture
  • Producing technical requirements and specifications from product design criteria
  • Mentoring and provide technical guidance to junior and mid-level engineers
  • Collaborating cross-functionally with product, designers and other stakeholders
  • Developing proof-of-concepts and prototypes
  • Supporting successful deployment of applications and features
  • Monitoring application performance and optimising where possible
  • Clearly communicating status, issues and technical details to non-technical stakeholders

About the interview process

• Send us your CV and give us a brief overview of your experience with Elixir and anything else you think is relevant
  • First interview: get to know the founders and find out more about the company
  • Second interview: technical discussion with our Director of Engineering about past experience and any interesting problems that you’ve previously solved, and you approach in doing so.

Further info

After years of programming my mind is focused on find edge cases. I have found 2 things that may be confusing and described them so everyone can see and understand the difference …

TLDR: What you wrote may be seen as you are ok for accepting most applicants from Africa and even Asia (Israel) and in fact it’s fine if some applicants are 3 timezone away from Belfast/London (summer time in eastern Europe and Israel). Also you mention AI, but you have not precised if you require some experience with AI.

As far as I know GMT is popular in UK and Ireland. Just to be sure you are ok with anyone in such range … In East Europe we have 2 UTC timezone (standard and summer time) which means that depending on date one country in GMT+2 timezone could actually be in UTC+2 EET and UTC+3 EEST. Israel have it’s 2 equivalent timezone in GMT+2. As far as I know GMT+2 is also in Egipt and Mozambique which are even more on East than Romania. :earth_africa:

So to be more precise I guess you are fine with whole Europe except Russia and Turkey (as they are in GMT+3). :thinking:

Remote GMT +/-2 (we’re based in Belfast, with access to an office here and/or in London if you wanted to come in)

Looks like Hybrid OR Remote (withihn GMT +/- 2). This is important to say it clearly as otherwise it’s confusing. :icon_confused:

1. Hybrid usually means that few days at week somebody needs to be in office or at least attempt on regular meetings (for example weekly discussion about next iteration). :handshake:

2. On the other side Remote allows to work at home 100% of time and developer could join every meeting (if any) using some app like Slack :video_camera:

Hybrid may be a source of problem. For example not everyone can quickly go to airport and travel to any city in “no time”. Some people can’t even visit family and return back in same day not even talking about work. In my case even when easily plan family visit I need to consider spending 1 extra day each way in London waiting for next plane or travel long 10 hours by car. :oncoming_automobile:

Office in London makes it much easier, but if for some reason you would need someone quick onsite in Belfast then you would need to count extra few hours for stopover in London. It’s over 5 hours in one direction only by plane. Add to it other transport, time for meeting (at least 1 hour I guess?) and you have at least 12 hours. Even if we can do it in one day then I still would not work on code and it gives at least 4 hours overtime. With a slightest delay such developer stays in hotel and takes 5+ hours on next days to return back which means 2 paid days for just 1 hour meeting. This is why I don’t accept offers that are fully remote. :sweat_smile:

People who never worked on AI / machine learning may skip this offer as it’s not specified if you require any knowledge about such technologies, but what’s confusing in tech stack there are technologies only for backend/devops skills and nothing about AI / machine learning. :technologist:

1 Like

Hey @Eiji, thank you for your response and apologies for any confusion, I’ll add some clarification below:

• With regards to timezone - GMT +/- 2 is more of a rough guide which I should have made clearer so sorry for that! The main thing that we’re looking for here is for the team to be online at the same time at key points across the day, for example during daily standup.
  • With regards to hybrid or remote - what we really meant to say here is that we’re very flexible. We have office space that is available to use both in Belfast or London but there is no obligation to use it as we are a remote-first company. There will be times throughout the year when we will want to get everyone in the same room but those will fall outside the norm and only if it makes total sense to do so.
  • With regards to experience with AI - it’s certainly a bonus because it’s the domain we are operating in, but it’s not a prerequisite for the role as we aren’t going to be developing our own models (…yet).

If you have any further questions please let me know!

1 Like

As far as I know GMT is popular in UK and Ireland

Just FYI, GMT and UTC are essentially the same thing. Okay, one is technically a timezone whilst the other is the standard by which we measure timezones, but in practice they always represent the same actual time.

Saying that, the OP would be more correct in saying “UTC +/- 2”

Curious if this position is still open?

It seems to be, or in other words, it is still on their website.

1 Like