CareCar, a technology and health services company, is looking for an experienced Elixir engineer to build and scale the software powering our care services platform.
My name: Mike Matz
My position: CTO
Company name: CareCar
Company info and history: CareCar is a technology and health services company currently focused on transforming the non-emergency transportation industry. We partner with healthcare organizations across the US to improve outcomes and reduce risk by using our platform to manage supplemental benefits for Medicare, Medicaid, and commercial populations.
Our care services platform is built on the foundation of a React frontend and Elixir backend integrated via a REST API, powered by PostgreSQL and running on AWS.
The types of problems we are solving revolve around improving the experience of the care providers who rely on our platform and the healthcare patients they interact with, as we work to fulfill our mission of helping people achieve better health outcomes and a better quality of life.
About the job
Job title: Senior Elixir Web Application Engineer
Job description: CareCar is looking for a Senior Elixir Web Application Engineer to help build and scale the software powering our care services platform. This position is ideal for someone with experience running Elixir web applications in a production environment, who is able to play a leadership role in software design, architecture, security, and operation, and who thrives in a geographically distributed remote-first work environment.
To succeed in this role, you should be a self-motivated “Get Things Done” kind of person and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. Additionally, you should be comfortable being a key player in a small team where we often wear multiple hats.
The software you design and build will be used to address a large variety of use cases, such as:
- Empowering patients with varied skills and disabilities to manage their care services schedules
- Providing real-time updates to our call center staff so that they can better serve our patient population
- Increase the effectiveness and efficiency of our team of care providers through the use of automation, algorithms, statistical models, and machine learning
- Integrating with external data systems so that our customers and our team can make more informed decisions that lead to better patient outcomes
- Improve the quality of the services we provide to patients by creating voice and text communications systems to connect patients with caregivers
Salary range: $90k-$150k
Position on remote work: We are fully remote
Qualifications or experience required:
- Experience building web applications and API’s with Elixir and Phoenix
- Strong knowledge of relational database design and optimization
- Be comfortable working in a startup environment where each team member may need to wear several hats
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Able to overlap with Pacific Time work day (UTC-8) for Slack conversations and video calls
What the successful job applicant will be working on:
- Participate in full software development lifecycle, including planning, analysis, design, implementation, and maintenance
- Maintain existing Elixir API’s in a production environment
- Be an active participant in strategic planning discussions with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Work with business and product stakeholders to create & document requirements
- Maintain a working knowledge of emerging technologies as well as new developments in older technologies
About the interview process
- Send us your resume and tell us a bit about yourself: your experience with Elixir, any open-source projects you want to share
- First interview - meet with your future manager - get to know each other, answer any questions you have about the role and the team, review your past experience
- Second interview - technical discussion with two of your future teammates. No coding required, but we would like to talk through problems you’ve solved as well as hypothetical software design and architecture questions. This is also a great opportunity to discuss the role with your peers.
- Final interview - meet with a non-technical team member to get a better understanding of your working style