GitStart is a Pull Request as a Service platform that unleashes engineering teams to accelerate their work. We help teams scale dynamically without friction whilst guaranteeing quality. Assign tickets to GitStart, Go to Bed, Wake up to Pull Requests.
Our mission is to help unleash the coding potential of the world’s most underrepresented, underprivileged, and underrated developers to work on the most advanced codebases and accelerate engineers everywhere.
The number one bottleneck software companies face today is the lack of senior engineers. Yet, there are millions of talented junior developers all around the world who can’t grow simply because of their circumstances. Wrong country of birth, wrong timezone, wrong language (we call all this BS).
Your work will help accelerate their careers by helping them grow faster through access to work above their level, getting paid to learn and being able to do it from anywhere. If you are as passionate as we are about this, join us!
My name: Yi Hoo
My position: Head of People
Company name: GitStart
Country: Officially USA but we are fully remote
Company info and history (how you’re using Elixir etc): We are rewriting our entire backend in Elixir/Phoenix
About the job
Job title: Senior Engineer - Backend
You’ll work as a Senior Engineer focused on the backend part of the stack, in particular you will:
- Contribute code to the backend part of our codebase. It is a Phoenix application written in Elixir, that exposes GraphQL API (using Absinthe).
- Own features end-to-end, from product definition, through implementation, and to production.
- Make sound architectural decisions, keeping in mind performance, maintainability and scale.
- Share your knowledge and passion for code quality with the rest of the team through code reviews and pairings.
- Grow both personally and professionally. We treat growth seriously, as we believe that our team will thrive only if and when every one of the team members does.
To help succeed in your role you’ll collaborate with an exceptional engineering team - early unicorn employees, Typescript and VSCode team engineer, Facebook Hackathon winner, Google Women TechMakers Scholar, etc.
You might be a great fit for this role if have great
- Self-management skills. You are able to operate independently, meaning you know how to plan and organize your work and communicate it to others, and don’t wait for someone to tell you what to do. This is especially important to us, since we’re a remote company with an async first mindset.
- Ability to do deep work (as described by Cal Newport in his book). We recognize the value of that uninterrupted work and try to reduce busy work as much as possible, so you can focus on meaningful work.
Salary range: Competitive with meaningful equity
Position on remote work: Fully remore
Qualifications or experience required:
Some skills or experiences which would set you up for success
- Extensive experience with our backend stack: Elixir, Phoenix, Absinthe on top of the Postgres database. Alternatively you are a polyglot backend developer and are willing to pick up Elixir in a short timeframe.
- Experience with TDD. You understand the value of testing and have maintained a healthy test suite before.
- Experience with OTP or other forms of concurrent programming.
- Familiarity with CI/CD ways of shipping code. We do it with: Pulumi, Kubernetes and GitHub Actions.
- Some familiarity with our frontend tech stack can also come in handy: TypeScript & ReactJS.
What the successful job applicant will be working on:
About the interview process
- 15m people screen
- 30m Technical interview + 30m Culture screen
- 30m follow up and hackweek review call
We are a hyper scaling startup with 15% Month-on-Month growth for the past 6 months despite being in stealth mode. Now that we have closed our seed round with some amazing investors, we are now going to accelerate our growth and most aspects of our business are looking at 10-100x growth in the next 1-2 years.
Here’s a taste of some amazing things our team has done and achieved
Several ex-founders of startups in industries from crypto/fintech to coding bootcamps to IoT/wearables
National maths olympiad winner and former member of the Microsoft Typescript team
Sailing world champion and Ironman
Teammates who have already gone through the seed to unicorn journey
Google Women TechMakers Scholar
Organizer of rave parties (pre-Covid )
An actual rocket scientist!
Earned a masters by utilising ML to prolong life of Cystic Fibrosis patients
We are also very proud of how diverse we are. Our engineering team is 50% female and we already have over 9 different nationalities in our company.
We also have some pretty phenomenal advisors and investors. Including 2 CTOs of the 10 highest valued companies, several CEOs and CTOs from the top 10 highest-valued startups worldwide, and YC, the world’s most prestigious accelerator.
What we offer
- We are a fully remote company so you decide where you want to work
- We host regular off-sites to bond and explore the world (3-4 a year of 2-3 weeks each)
- Personalised growth plan & mentorship for every employee + access to the world’s most prestigious entrepreneurship community through the Y Combinator
- Competitive compensation and meaningful equity along with a chance to make a significant contribution to changing the lives of millions of developers
- A great range of perks and benefits