Senior Full-Stack Engineer (Elixir, React, Typescript) - Instinct, Full Remote USA

As a Senior Full-Stack Engineer at Instinct, you will play a key role in designing and developing modern veterinary software that serves thousands of users in animal hospitals across the globe. Engineers in this role often take ownership of projects and have the ability to take on larger and more complex features and bugs. You will work closely with a small, cross-functional, highly-collaborative team to deliver quality software that solves real problems for our customers. Our teams have a deep understanding of their domains and work to deliver value with minimal overhead. We prize excellence, creativity, and accountability and in return provide autonomy and an environment to do your best work.

Job Posting

About us

My name: Sheri Villers
My position: Director of Engineering
Company name: Instinct
Company website: https://www.instinct.vet/
Company headquarters (country): We are a fully remote company in the US. We have no “headquarters” or office anywhere.
Company info and history:
Instinct Science is a veterinary software company that helps practices enhance patient care, improve staff efficiency, and minimize burnout. We were founded in 2017 and are a mid-size company (50-100 people) that has used Elixir from the start. Our back-end runs fully in Elixir with our front-end in React, with GraphQL connecting the two.

About the job

Job title: Senior Full-Stack Engineer
Job description:

• Own software projects from scoping to release
  • Design efficient, reliable and scalable solutions
  • Build software using Elixir, React and associated technologies
  • Define work for and mentor more junior team members
  • Lead collaboration with product, engineering and QA teammates to deliver quality software in a timely manner
  • Research and solve complex customer issues
  • Keep up-to-date with and lead conversations around industry best practices for design, development, unit testing and other aspects of software engineering

Salary range: $150,000-$175,000
Qualifications or experience required:
Must Haves:

• At least five years experience building modern SaaS applications
  • Knowledge of Elixir and JavaScript
  • Ability to break complex problems into actionable and efficient work
  • Team-first attitude, including a desire to mentor teammates and build effective, lightweight work patterns
  • Strong communication skills in a remote work environment
  • Commitment to quality driven by empathy for our customers and their patients
  • Detail-oriented and organized in your work
    Nice-to-Haves:
  • Deep knowledge of Elixir for back-end development
  • Knowledge of Typescript and React for front-end development
  • Experience using AWS to build, deploy and troubleshoot applications
  • Proven experience with relational databases, including using good design patterns and building and tuning efficient queries/data access

What the successful job applicant will be working on: We have a few teams with openings, including a platform team that works on cross-cutting or behind-the-scenes features such as search, external APIs and event bus, and domain teams that work on customer facing features like medical charting and invoicing.

Position on remote work

Remote job: We are a fully remote company
Remote restrictions: We are looking to hire people in the United States only
Remote leeway: None at this time
Any other notes about your position on remote work: Instinct has no plans to move away form remote work, ever

About the interview process
We have candidates go through a few rounds of interviews, meeting first with someone in HR, then someone in engineering management, then a few engineers and finally with a hiring manager. We do not do whiteboard style interviews, but we may ask you to talk through a problem with the team.

Further info

Please use our Job Posting to apply for this position or reach out to me here to ask questions.

2 Likes

I have just applied!

1 Like

Seems very interesting. Shame I’m UTC+2 :upside_down_face:

Very sorry that we are unable to hire outside the US at this time. I know there are tons of talented folks around the world!