Senior Full Stack Engineer - Prescribe FIT, Columbus OH, USA [Remote within USA-only]

Introductory paragraph

Hi, I’m Peter Mueller. I’m the Principal Software Engineer at Practice FIT and we’re looking for someone with production Elixir experience, and ideally who is comfortable with LiveView (we use a lot of Surface/LV), and feels comfortable with and gets excited about ripping apart a nasty database schema into proper abstractions and separate analytics databases

To apply, send your resume to Brock Leonti, CEO, brock@prescribefit.com

Please DM me here or on Slack or Discord when applying so I know you’ve applied and so I can poke the CEO if he doesn’t get back to someone in a timely fashion.

About us

My name: Peter Mueller
My position: Principal Software Engineer
Company name: Prescribe FIT
Company website: https://prescribefit.com
Company headquarters (country): Columbus, Ohio (USA)
Company info and history: Elixir was introduced 2 years ago, and now powers all but a couple dashboards. Mainly Phoenix, LiveView/Surface for browsers, REST for a React Native mobile app

About the job

Job title: Senior Fullstack Engineer,
Job description:
Taken from the PDF version of the posting (see below for the expanded one) -

The ideal person for this position is excited to grow with the company, capable of effective process/project management and ready to dive into an existing codebase and team and start contributing quickly.
Your primary responsibility will be shipping features from our product roadmap, which will involve working with stakeholders and engineering peers to foster a shared understanding of the core business need; planning and estimating timelines; iteratively developing and shipping features to production, and monitoring and maintaining our applications in production.

Salary range: $130-145k USD, full-time, salaried
Position on remote work: Remote-first engineering team. US only due to HIPAA, not able to make offers to people located in California :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
Qualifications or experience required: production Elixir experience
What the successful job applicant will be working on: LiveView/Surface for our internal employees, and partner practices’ users (providers, RNs, MAs, admin staff), Oban workers for background jobs, and REST APIs

About the interview process

After you send in your resume, you should have an initial conversation with our CEO (we’re small).

From there, you should have the choice of a 60-90 minute pairing session (w/ me) or a take-home project. I like the pairing session but if the take-home makes more sense for you, we want to have it be available for folks.

After that you’ll chat with the eng. team and the CEO together.

If at any point things fall down, or someone doesn’t get back to you, that’s an accident, and let us know so we can correct that.

Further info

As before, please DM me here or on Slack or Discord when applying (it’s just an email to the CEO) so I know you’ve applied and so I can poke the CEO if he doesn’t get back to someone in a timely fashion.

Job Description from PDF

Prescribe FIT has designed and implemented a unique solution that actively promotes the adaptation of a healthy lifestyle that embraces daily physical activity, personalized nutrition, and healthy lifestyle choices designed to lower health care costs. This is done by remotely monitoring patients to track and analyze the lifestyle data of patients to better understand and influence behaviors through software coaching initiatives.

We’re building an exceptionally talented development team to build the technology platform for our high-growth early-stage healthcare business. To get started, we’re looking for an experienced full-stack developer that wants to wear multiple hats – owning projects and seeing them from conception to shipped software, mentoring team members, effectively working across departments to understand problems and build solutions, and more!

ROLE DESCRIPTION

The ideal person for this position is excited to grow with the company, capable of effective process/project management and ready to dive into an existing codebase and team and start contributing quickly.

Your primary responsibility will be shipping features from our product roadmap, which will involve working with stakeholders and engineering peers to foster a shared understanding of the core business need; planning and estimating timelines; iteratively developing and shipping features to production, and monitoring and maintaining our applications in production.

WHAT YOU’LL DO:

• Build and maintain our full-stack Phoenix application that powers the API for our mobile app and our various administrative tools.
  • Work on the backend and architecture of our software.
  • Work closely with our team to understand requirements, and to design and implement solutions iteratively.
  • Work with teammates to share knowledge, pair program, motivate and encourage peers, and ship value to production.

EMPLOYMENT DETAILS

• Full-Time, 40-hour weeks, salaried
  • Equity (vesting options)
  • Health/dental/vision covering employee + spouse + dependents
  • 401(k) w/ 3% company contribution
  • 20 days PTO that accumulate as of your start date
  • Remote-first engineering team
  • Headquartered in the Franklinton neighborhood in Columbus, Ohio

OUR TECH STACK

• Elixir/Phoenix powering our Web, Backend, and API services
  • JavaScript/Typescript
  • Legacy Express/Angular applications
  • Google Cloud Platform
  • Primarily MySQL with some PostgreSQL

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS

• 3+ years web development experience
  • Experience shipping production applications
  • Cloud infrastructure/ops and SQL knowledge a plus • Ability to evaluate tradeoffs and choose the most appropriate solution to achieve the desired outcomes
  • Great communication skills, both written and verbal
  • Ability to understand customer needs and challenges
  • Strong desire to improve and uplift others on your team
1 Like

This should say production Elixir experience is preferred, but not required. Biggest thing is probably a strong familiarity and comfort with SQL

Biggest thing probably is being located in US :smiley:

Yeah, that’s totally fair :frowning:
Unfortunately we’re not large enough to afford the Security/Risk Assessments and legal fees we’d have to go through to prove to potential partners looking to sign contracts that devs outside the US aren’t a risk, and we’re definitely not large enough to walk away from those kinds of contracts.

The US healthcare industry’s hiring and contracting practices, just like US healthcare in general, is kind of a mess that you have to adapt to if you’re not a mega-corporation and are beholden to the regulations (which we are) :frowning:

3 Likes

Hi @felix-starman , would you mind to answer this survey related to USA only jobs?

Submitted :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also added some more context for what I’ve noticed around how companies in the US assume that’s it’s “too hard” for taxes, and legal reasons, and just end up not even looking into it, despite it probably being easier to hire using services like remote.com, than it is to hire in even an adjacent US state.

3 Likes

Thank you very much @felix-starman . Your comments were really important.

1 Like

I’m interested in the role and can work for half the price if you’re open to hiring outside the US. Let me know your thoughts.

1 Like

Unfortunately it really is less about the cost in salary and benefits, and more about the time investment to documenting it, and then the risk that even if everything is perfectly documented, and development VMs are sandboxed with the proper IAM permissions and region locks, a partner would still not care. We’re a small (50-person) healthcare startup, but with non-US located employees they’d basically say “I don’t care how secure you claim to be, or about any Security and Risk Assessments. The HIPAA questionnaire you filled out says you have employees that don’t reside in the US, so the answer is no. Come back when you’re over 1000 employees, maybe then we’ll invest the time for our lawyers and security folks to even read your assessment”

And those contracts are worth enough that we can’t take on that risk yet.

There are other ways to get around but they still require resources we don’t have at our current size :face_with_diagonal_mouth: I’ve seen it done well at other healthcare tech companies I’ve worked at, but it’ll still be a long while before we can do that

3 Likes