GetThru is looking for an engineer to join our technology team to help build our phone-banking and text-banking tools for the progressive political and advocacy ecosystem. We’re using Elixir, Phoenix, LiveView, and PostgreSQL to create real-time, large-scale applications. Our developers spend their time working on new features and maintaining the existing applications. The right person will be comfortable collaborating with teammates at distance.
You will experience working with Elixir, Phoenix, and LiveView in a production setting on a product that serves progressive causes and had a massive positive impact in the 2020 election.
This is a remote, full-time position with equity and benefits in a profitable and growing progressive SaaS company.
Company name: GetThru
About Our Team
Our development team iterates fast while keeping an eye to stability and maintainability. We are a small team so we expect our developers to wear many hats. Our engineers know how to balance improvement projects with delivering features, how to pay off tech debt while blazing forward, and how to use modern technology while keeping stability in mind. We give our team dedicated time to set aside for learning and offer them a professional development budget. We are a woman-led operation, and we share a commitment to promoting diversity in the tech field.
GetThru’s mission is to empower organizations to connect authentically with their audiences at scale while building a sustainable company committed to progressive social change. Our tools have been used by more than 2,000 organizations to send over 1 billion text messages and make more than 500 million phone calls for voter contact, volunteer recruitment, fundraising, polling, and more. In the 2020 election cycle we helped propel several of the highest-profile Democratic campaigns in the nation to victory, along with plenty of progressive state and local candidates.
We are an all-remote company with 40+ full-time staff spread across the US and Canada. Prior to the pandemic, we had a once-yearly all-staff retreat, and held semi-annual in-person team meetings (e.g., sales, support, development). And while our roots are in progressive politics, we love partnering with organizations of all kinds that share our passion for creating a better world.
What You’ll Do
- Working on a variety of interesting engineering projects that may include:
- feature development,
- site reliability,
- service architecture,
- integrating telecom voice and data APIs,
- design and development of entirely new product initiatives
- scaling data storage.
- Writing clean, readable, maintainable Elixir code, leaving the code better than you found it.
- Designing and working with real-time APIs via WebSockets
- Working in close collaboration remotely with other team members across the organization to propose, scope, and implement new features and improvements.
- Deploying releases and actively monitoring for (and addressing) production resources and issues.
- Collaborating to refine application architecture, propose solutions, and perform code reviews.
- Participating in on-call rotation.
- Prioritizing stability and usability to ensure our platform remains fast, bug-free, and intuitive.
Our stack includes:
Experience in all of the above is not required. We care just as much about work ethic, creativity, determination, and shared commitment to progressive ideals, customer service, and a high standards workplace. If you have not worked in these exact technologies but they interest you, please apply!
Salary range: $125k – $165k yearly salary, commensurate with skills and experience
Position on remote work: This is a remote position. You will work from anywhere in U.S. time zones as long as you have good internet and the work gets done! Our team members travel a few times a year to meet with the team in person.
- You have prior professional experience building web applications and can complete mid to large sized projects with minimal supervision
- You have or want experience with Elixir or Erlang
- You are a collaborative and supportive teammate
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You ask for help when you need it, and are committed to continual improvement
- You are interested in mentoring and teaching others what you know
About the interview process
- Step 1: Phone screen
- Step 2: Take-home coding assignment followed by live discussion OR live code review exercise (applicant’s choice)
- Step 3: Team fit panel interview
Additional Info on Compensation
- Compensation for participation in on-call rotation
- Additional compensation via bonuses and participation in profit-sharing pool
- Participation in employee stock option pool
- 401K + employer match that begins on or after 3 months of employment
- 100% Health / dental / vision benefits for employees, 75% for dependents
- 3 weeks of vacation time in year 1 and 2, with increases thereafter; as well as various company holidays
- Additional benefits: ergonomic stipend, monthly wellness stipend, parental leave, charitable giving match, professional development budget
GetThru provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. As our company grows, we strive to make space for all kinds of people to do amazing work with us. We especially encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, immigrants, and other communities underrepresented in technology startups to apply. We value diversity because we think a team with a wide range of experiences will be more creative, more adaptable, and more effective. Further, our clients are leading advocates for equity and justice, and we want our team to reflect the communities we are working to support.
How to Apply
Please apply by going to: Software Engineer (Senior) Application
In your cover letter, please explain why you want to work for GetThru. Tell us what experiences make you a good fit and why you are excited about this job in particular.