At Packlane, we help customers create custom packaging that can transform their businesses – and we need you to build the powerful tools and integrations that make it all possible.
Consider Packlane a unique challenge - you’ll be working on systems that enable people with a range of design knowledge (from novices to experts) to create products that help them tell their business’s brand story. It’s a big job, but the engineer we’re looking for will be excited to work on a career-defining startup that’s pioneering new approaches to designing and manufacturing packaging. Join our team as a software engineer and put your super-skills to work for the forces of good.
My name: Alexei Sholik
My position: Tech Lead
Company name: Packlane
Packlane has been using Elixir since 2016. Our tech stack includes the usual suspects Phoenix and Ecto. We’re using Postgres as the database and our core applications run on AWS.
Job title: Senior Software Engineer
Location: Remote (minimum 2 hours overlap with PST)
Employment type: Employee or contract depending on location
- Real-world experience in designing and evolving SQL schemas and writing code that manages relational data. You’re confident working with production data, choosing indexing strategies for tables based on their access patterns, and deciding when and how to use data caching in memory, as a few examples.
- A great understanding of web technologies, and how to optimize them so a website handles complex data with speed, robustness, and security. You don’t break a sweat while debugging production issues with the help of logs and tracing.
- You understand the value but also the cost of writing tests. We value high test coverage and, at the same time, we try to avoid being slowed down by tests that are too implementation-dependent when refactoring existing code.
- An easy-to-work-with attitude, well-organized, and highly self-motivated.
- Reliable. Accountable. Dependable. And all the other good -ables. You know what they are.
- Great communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong work ethic and a healthy obsession with learning new things.
- Don’t see your strengths listed? Tell us about them! We want eager and gritty applicants not narrowly pigeon-holed engineers.
- Use the technologies you love - Packlane is an opportunity to cut your teeth on an exciting technology stack, including innovative development frameworks and cutting-edge functional languages.
- We’re a small team - You’ll be one of few, which means you’ll have a real chance to make an impact. Expect (and hopefully enjoy!) a lot of control and influence over product decisions and prioritization, with significant engagement and input into business decision-making.
- You’ll help build our future - We’ve got a lot of ambitious projects in the works, from re-building manufacturing infrastructure from the ground up, to implementing robust order management systems that orchestrate an intricate production flow, and you’ll be at the forefront of it all. We value creative thinking, bold decisions, and the courage to take ownership over solutions.
- You’ll be challenged to grow - If you are curious and willing to continue to learn and level-up, you’ll be right at home on our tea. We value diverse and growing skillsets as well as deep knowledge in specific areas of software development and engineering. We encourage exploration and growth, sharing your knowledge, and evolving our stack and implementation.
- Flexibility - We’re a fully remote company, from Engineering through Customer Service. We’re proud of our remoteness and make sure to stay connected and interactive through Slack, Zoom, and other channels. We operate across all the North American time zones from GMT-3 to GMT-7. We value work-life balance and work to find innovative solutions to meet peoples’ needs.
- Technical interview with the Tech Lead (myself)
- Interview with our Head of Product and Technology to talk about your potential role and responsibilities.
Please go to our Breezy page and apply to the position you’re interested in.