SmartRent is made up of passionate, diverse, and innovative professionals who enjoy working together. We are on a mission to make smart home technology accessible for everyone by embracing our shared guiding principles. We don’t take shortcuts; we do the hard work. We own our outcomes. We win as a team. We value authenticity and others’ perspectives. We believe solving problems starts before we write any code.
We work using a really fun intersection of physical hardware, such as locks and thermostats, and software that can control the devices; we provide applications for both the property staff — whether single-family or multifamily and also the residents of the properties. We started in 2017, and have had explosive growth ever since — going public in 2021 for $2.2b. We have deployed over 300,000 units that contain over one million IoT devices and ingest billions of events from those devices in a given month.
My name: Jeremiah Anderson
My position: Head of Talent Acquisition
Company name: SmartRent
Elixir is our primary backend language of our techstack. Our extensive product line consists of web and mobile software for property owners and managers, residents and system installers as well as connected hardware that remotely monitors and controls smart locks, readers, gates, lights, thermostats, outlets, cameras and sensors. SmartRent streamlines operations for community staff, enhances the resident experience and provides property owners with a digital layer of asset protection.
About the job
Job title: Senior Software Engineer II, Alloy Access
Job description: Job Application for Senior Software Engineer II, Alloy Access at SmartRent (Click this link to apply!)
Salary range: $145,000.00 - $175,000.00 - Plus 10% bonus and RSUs (Restricted stock units). We provide 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage.
Position on remote work: 100% Remote
Qualifications or experience required:
- 6+ years professional experience in software development using backend programming languages (e.g. Elixir, NodeJS, Ruby, Python, PHP, etc.)
- 6+ years experience programming with SQL or other relational databases.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Understanding of the SDLC (software development life cycle)
- Passionate about their work and their team
- Regularly demonstrates ownership
- Thrives in a rapidly changing environment
What the successful job applicant will be working on:
- Design, create, and update functionality for the tools, systems, software, and sites that support our customer success team, dispatchers, and installers.
- Identify opportunities to improve the user experience for the platforms, and increase efficiency, and informational flow.
- Engage internal teams (CS, engineering, QA, Product, Marketing, HR, etc.) and external parties for help in implementing features.
- Create data links, lambdas, and APIs necessary to successfully deliver content.
- Compile reports and metrics on the effectiveness of development projects.
- Consult on database development and informational management and implement the same.
- Integrate our software with hardware and software providers
About the interview process
Step 1: Recruiter Screen (15 min)
Step 2: Technical interview w/Engineering Manager (60 min)
Step 3: Live Coding Assessment w/ Engineering Manager (30 min)
Step 4: Final Coding (take home) Assessment & Debrief (to present code) w/Engineering Team - (60 min)