AndyL

AndyL

I’m writing an app that manages sensitive data. It might be nice to segregate each customer’s data into a separate Sqlite database.

I’ve done different flavors of multi-tenancy in Postgres, and have configured apps that use a pre-defined group of databases. But never have seen anyone attach, create & destroy Sqlite instances dynamically.

Is it even possible? Is anyone doing this?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I’ve done it in Rust and Golang but not in Elixir yet. Very common practice in certain businesses.

bdarla

bdarla

In general Sqlite does not provide strong security mechanisms. It might be inappropriate to handle sensitive data.

On the other hand, I do see the benefits if you need to delete a particular’s customer data easily.

fceruti

fceruti

I’m pretty sure everything you need can be achieved in Elixir/Phoenix, yet, I must say, I have no experience with it.

Having said that, if instead of calling Repo in your project, you do something akin to get_repo(user, team), where you lazy create that database if it doesn’t exist (and check permissions to access), that should sandboxed enough.

If you think about it, it’s much more secure than other approaches, where a web framework defaults to a db connection. Here, every, single, time, you need to explicitly tell elixir what database to use, by calling a configured Repo (you can configure more than one).

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Ecto also allows you dynamic repositories.

ltd

ltd

At scale this becomes less appealing. There is a cost to open/close each db. At scale you won’t be able to keep all of them open all the time. With any kind of concurrent usage of a single db, your app will need to coordinate who the “writer” is. If your app moves to multiple nodes, the work will need to be routed to the node that hosts the sqllite db. If your app is transaction heavy, you will end up doing alot more i/o, the syncing of the single postgres WAL is significantly more efficient than an array of sqlite dbs.

AndyL

AndyL OP

Ecto also allows you dynamic repositories .

This looks promising. Thanks for the tip !!

arcadian

arcadian

:dets might be an option since it uses one file per key-value store and has simple commands to open and close the files.

AndyL

AndyL OP

:dets is simple to use for dynamic k/v stores…

Yes! Also CubDB.

AndyL

AndyL OP

@dimitarvp thanks again for the reference to dynamic repos. Using this info, I wrote an prototype library called DynDb to manage Dynamic Sqlite databases. Interested to get feedback re: API design and potential gotchas. Have a look!

#!/usr/bin/env elixir 

Mix.install([
  {:dyn_db, github: "andyl/dyn_db"}
])

# Write a Migration 
defmodule Migration0 do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def change do
    create table("chats") do
      add(:message, :string)
      timestamps(type: :utc_datetime_usec)
    end
  end
end

# Write a Schema 
defmodule Chat do
  use Ecto.Schema

  schema "chats" do
    field(:message, :string)
    timestamps(type: :utc_datetime_usec)
  end
end

# Interact with the DynDb
defmodule Main do 
  def main do 
    # The database file will be auto-created
    {:ok, db1} = DynDb.start_link(database: "./data1.db")

    # Migrate 
    DynDb.migrate(db1, Migration0) 

    # Query  
    DynDb.insert!(db1, %Chat{message: "HELLO at #{Time.utc_now()} UTC"})
    DynDb.all(db1, Chat) |> IO.inspect()
  end 
end 

Main.main()
dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Looks alright for a start. I’d have 80% of the code be tests though. :grin: But that’s for later stage.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews