Series on Architecting Flow in Elixir

In this series, we take a look at the different ways to organize, structure and execute a good “flow” in our Elixir programs.

The latest entry deals with Advanced Techniques demonstrated by frameworks like Plug and Ecto:

10 Likes

Love the Plug.Conn style token approach.

Could you define a protocol allowing a Plug.Builder style DSL to be used with many token struct types?

We used this approach in another stack before starting with Elixir, it’s a solid way to contain complexity. While researching the options, Plug (and by extension Elixir) felt familiar right away because of that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It seems like a good idea, doesn’t it? But maybe this is a case where we should not create a general framework … I think there are lots of different sides to this problem that are worth exploring and I plan to explore that in an upcoming article! :+1:

Newest article in the series! This time, we explore Metaprogramming, how to use it and when to avoid it!

3 Likes

@rrrene thank you for this excellent series. I mentioned you in my talk today at ElixirConf EU. The talk was about building data processing pipelines with Elixir Flow. I think the Token approach you mention in your article works really well for this kind of stuff.

3 Likes

Just published a new article on “Architecting Flow in Elixir” showing the PROs and CONs of using the Token approach:

3 Likes

Newest post on Designing Token APIs:

1 Like