travisf
I’ve been asked to add a secure flag to a cookie which I believe is being created as a result of this plug:
plug(
Plug.Session,
store: :redis,
# 1 day
expiration_in_seconds: 86_400
)
We are using Redbird as our adapter for Plug.Session but the cookie does not have a secure flag.
If I try adding something like: secure: true to the above plug I will get an invalid CSRF token error from Phoenix when I try to log in.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
lucaong
Are you running your application over HTTPS? The
secureflag for cookies has the effect to allowing transmission the cookie only over HTTPS. If you are using HTTP, the cookie marked assecurewon’t be re-transmitted by the browser upon making a request, which could cause your CSRF token error.Note that
Plug.Sessionshould setsecuretotrueby default when the connection is HTTPS, as documented here.travisf
Yes in production it’s HTTPS, but the cookie is not flagged as secure (at least in the browser).
voltone
Your application may not be aware that requests are made over HTTPS. If TLS is terminated externally, in a load balancer or reverse proxy, Plug needs to be told to treat the request as HTTPS using a header. Plug.SSL can do that for you.
For Plug, see the Plug SSL guide for details. In Phoenix you’d typically use the
force_sslEndpoint configuration rather than Plug.SSL directly (it accepts the same options).lucaong
Great point about the proxy and
Plug.SSL. Setting the options like:rewrite_onproperly and then lettingPlug.Sessionset cookie as secure on HTTPS by default is probably the best option if the app is behind a proxy.Still, if I am not misunderstanding the docs, from the application point of view, when
secure: trueis explicitly added to thePlug.Sessionoptions, thesecureflag should be forced totrueon the cookie no matter if the connection is HTTP or HTTPS.Some browsers (like Chrome) will ignore the
Set-Cookiewhensecureflag istruebut the protocol is not HTTPS, but if the production app is served over HTTPS this should not be the problem.@travisf maybe you could inspect the response headers set by Phoenix, to determine if the app is even trying to set the cookie as secure or not. Can you see the
Set-Cookieheader? Does it containsecure=true?travisf
Looking at the headers in Chrome, specifically
set-cookiefor this header. This is the case in both dev and prod environments.@voltone I haven’t gotten too far into Endpoint configuration, I was called away to some other things today but I will look into that and let you know how it goes.
travisf
I started down the path of setting HTTPs locally based on the Endpoint configuration, but I think that was a bit more overhead based on our current setup. We ended up just setting
secureto true in the production environment and not worrying about it locally (which I think the was the crux of my issue to begin with).