pepicrft

pepicrft

Hi :wave:,

I upgraded to Elixir 1.18.0, and started getting type-checking warnings in the following module:

defmodule TestModule do
  @env Mix.env()

  def prod?() do
   @env == :prod
  end 
end

Because the types don’t match:

dynamic(:dev) == :prod

What’s a recommended way to tackle this scenario with the new set-theoretic types system in Elixir?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

In this particular case I would probably do it like this:

defmodule TestModule do
  if Mix.env() == :prod do
    def prod?(), do: true
  else
    def prod?(), do: false
  end
end
ruslandoga

ruslandoga

There still seems to be a problem when this function is being used with “boolean” operators, for example:

defmodule Types do
  def prod?, do: unquote(Mix.env() == :prod)

  def a_or_b do
    if Types.prod?() and :rand.uniform() > 0.5 do
      :a
    else
      :b
    end
  end
end

warns

    warning: the following conditional expression will always evaluate to dynamic(false):

        Types.prod?()

    typing violation found at:
    │
  9 │     if Types.prod?() and :rand.uniform() > 0.5 do
    │     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    │
    └─ lib/types.ex:9: Types.a_or_b/0

Rewriting the caller like this seems to work but …

  def a_or_b do
    if Types.prod?() do
      if :rand.uniform() > 0.5 do
        :a
      end
    end || :b
  end
josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

We will fix this on Elixir v1.18.1 We will make it so it only warns when comparing across different types.

dkarter

dkarter

@josevalim was this fix implemented?
Looks like there is still an issue with compile env in 1.18.1 (see screenshot below)

We use it more like this in our app to decide whether to start certain children in the supervision tree:

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

The fix right now only works when comparing constants. Because you encapsulate it in a function, it no longer works, but it would work if you did @env == :dev.

hq1

hq1

welp:

  defmacro always(term) do
    quote do
      :erlang.phash2(1, 1) == 0 && unquote(term)
    end
  end

  def prod?, do: always(unquote(Mix.env() == :prod))
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

AndyL
There’s heavy doomer energy on many of the forum threads. This community has traditionally been optimistic and forward thinking. Now th...
#ai
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews