rgraff
Ash Core Team
I have a validation based on use Ash.Resource.Validation that when invalid returns
{:error,
InvalidAttribute.exception(
field: :variant_key,
path: [:feature_override],
message: "feature variant not found"
)}
The graphql response is missing the path
%{"data" => %{"addFeatureOverrideToAccount" => %{"errors" => [%{"code" => "invalid_attribute", "fields" => ["variant_key"], "message" => "feature variant not found"}], "result" => nil}}}
I expect the path to be ["feature_override","variant_key"]
I’m seeing the same issue in liveview with the error not getting rendered in forms.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
Can you try this:
We should make the
pathkey work for all exceptions by default I think, as that is a pretty natural way to set it.rgraff
The path is being set correctly.
Using
Ash.Error.set_path(...)adds to the path but it’s still not in the graphql fields.Yesterday when I was digging I thought I remember seeing builtin errors from constraints also have keys
attribute:andresource:but now I can’t recreate those.rgraff
May be relevant: The argument (feature_override) is an embedded resource that has an attribute (variant_key). The update action being called is on the parent. The action appends the argument into a list of embedded resources (feature_overrides). The validation is on the parent resource because attributes of the parent affect the validation of the embedded children.
zachdaniel
path: ...option work for ash exceptions by default, but it makes sense to do and would be easy.rgraff
The issue isn’t specific to graphql. I have similar issues in Ash Phoenix Forms. The error gets added to the changeset with the path, but something else must not be set correctly because the path gets dropped by graphql and Ash Phoenix Form too.
I’ll see if I can find a easy way to reproduce.
rgraff
@zachdaniel, I hope this is a better explanation.
Given a action with an argument this is an embedded resource:
And when invalid FeatureVariantExists returns:
And I have a form like this:
When the form is invalid, the error is as expected in
form.source.source.errors[]but is not in the nested form forfeature_overrideWhen getting the error from a graphql mutation (instead of form)
zachdaniel
So, for
ash_phoenixthat is definitely an issue, a reproduction test would be greatly appreciated. I can hunt down what might be going wrong. As forash_graphql, it looks like we actually just don’t have path handling logic set up at all. It should be an addition to the existing logic. Thefieldsis a pointer to multiple fields, not a path to the fields.rgraff
I’ll do a PR for an ash_phoenix test to reproduce this.
For ash_graphql, it’s less of an issue for me right now and I’m not sure what the conventions/specs are for errors. I personally would expect a path with camelCase.
zachdaniel
Yeah, I agree we should add a path to the graphql errors and camelcase them
Neophen
@rgraff did you manage to solve it? As i’m running into an issue where using the AshPhoenix form i’m not getting the error for a path, doing an inspect like so:
the
source.source.errorsdoes contain both errorsbut the actual errors doesn’t contain the
title.enerror:This is a custom ash type based on map. here’s a post with more details: