TrevorHinesley

TrevorHinesley

Hi everyone!

I’m a long-time Rails programmer and have been dabbling in Elixir/Phoenix. Loving it!

I just downloaded the Argon dashboard by Creative Tim and am trying to get it hooked up a new Phoenix application. Here’s where I’m stuck… following the Quick Start docs, I’ve moved a bunch of their files into my assets directory. Here’s the structure:

assets
  -> css
    -> theme
      -> bootstrap
      -> core
      -> custom
      -> argon.scss
    -> app.scss
    -> phoenix.scss
  -> js
    -> theme
      -> argon.min.js
    -> app.js
    -> socket.js
  -> node_modules
  -> static
  -> vendor
    -> @fortawesome
    -> anchor-js
    ... etc ...

In the assets/vendor folder, I’ve put everything from the dashboard’s own vendor folder, and removed anything wasn’t a compiled/bundled/minified js/css file.

I’m trying to use brunch’s config to specify the order of some files, but it’s not working properly. Here’s my config:

exports.config = {
  // See http://brunch.io/#documentation for docs.
  files: {
    javascripts: {
      joinTo: "js/app.js",

      // To use a separate vendor.js bundle, specify two files path
      // http://brunch.io/docs/config#-files-
      // joinTo: {
      //   "js/app.js": /^js/,
      //   "js/vendor.js": /^(?!js)/
      // }
      //
      // To change the order of concatenation of files, explicitly mention here
      order: {
        before: [
          "vendor/jquery/dist/jquery.min.js",
          "vendor/bootstrap/dist/js/bootstrap.bundle.min.js",
          "js/theme/argon.min.js",
        ],
        after: [
          "js/app.js",
        ],
      }
    },
    stylesheets: {
      joinTo: "css/app.css",

      order: {
        before: [
          "vendor/nucleo/css/nucleo.min.css",
          "vendor/@fortawesome/fontawesome-free/css/all.min.css",
          "css/theme/argon.scss",
        ],
        after: [
          "css/app.scss",
        ],
      }
    },
    templates: {
      joinTo: "js/app.js"
    }
  },

  conventions: {
    // This option sets where we should place non-css and non-js assets in.
    // By default, we set this to "/assets/static". Files in this directory
    // will be copied to `paths.public`, which is "priv/static" by default.
    assets: /^(static)/
  },

  // Phoenix paths configuration
  paths: {
    // Dependencies and current project directories to watch
    watched: ["static", "css", "js", "vendor"],
    // Where to compile files to
    public: "../priv/static"
  },

  // Configure your plugins
  plugins: {
    babel: {
      // Do not use ES6 compiler in vendor code
      ignore: [/vendor/]
    },
    sass: {
      mode: "native", // set to 'native' to force libsass
      options: {
        precision: 8 // Minimum precision required by bootstrap
      }
    }
  },

  modules: {
    autoRequire: {
      "js/app.js": ["js/app"]
    }
  },

  npm: {
    enabled: true
  }
};

The problem is, the js before/after options don’t seem to be working, or at least vendor files are ALWAYS after everything. If I look at the app.js.map that’s bundled by brunch, here’s the sources array:

"sources":["js/theme/argon.min.js","node_modules/phoenix/priv/static/phoenix.js","node_modules/phoenix_html/priv/static/phoenix_html.js","js/socket.js","js/app.js","vendor/jquery/dist/jquery.min.js","vendor/bootstrap/dist/js/bootstrap.bundle.min.js","vendor/@fortawesome/fontawesome-free/js/all.min.js","vendor/@fortawesome/fontawesome-free/js/brands.min.js","vendor/@fortawesome/fontawesome-free/js/fontawesome.min.js","vendor/@fortawesome/fontawesome-free/js/regular.min.js","vendor/@fortawesome/fontawesome-free/js/solid.min.js","vendor/@fortawesome/fontawesome-free/js/v4-shims.min.js","vendor/anchor-js/anchor.min.js","vendor/bootstrap-datepicker/dist/js/bootstrap-datepicker.min.js","vendor/chart.js/dist/Chart.bundle.min.js","vendor/clipboard/dist/clipboard.min.js","vendor/headroom.js/dist/jQuery.headroom.min.js","vendor/holderjs/holder.min.js","vendor/jquery-scroll-lock/dist/jquery-scrollLock.min.js","vendor/jquery.scrollbar/jquery.scrollbar.min.js","vendor/nouislider/distribute/nouislider.min.js","vendor/onscreen/dist/on-screen.umd.min.js"]

As you can see, js/app.js is NOT after everything else (at least not after vendor files).

Any ideas what’s going on here? I’ve already checked out this template porting discussion.

Thanks for any help!

Showing Posts 1 to 3

TrevorHinesley

TrevorHinesley OP

I actually think this might be a problem with Brunch. Added an issue here: Map sources are ordered incorrectly · Issue #1830 · brunch/brunch · GitHub

Nicd

Nicd

As Brunch development is sparse and Phoenix is moving to Webpack in the next version, you may also want to look that way.

TrevorHinesley

TrevorHinesley OP

Did notttt know that. Good plan. Thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews