JILL24
suppose a case where single ets is storing users and users start to grow too much in ets table. now i want to shard ets table in the same node means local node.
is it possible? and if it is possible, how?
note - Don’t use 3rd party library. just custom built.
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
How many users do you have? What are your access patterns? What problem are you running into with a single ets table?
JILL24
it is just an assumption, do you know, discord also store their guild members in ets table, and when it starts to too much like 250k then he have distribute into small chunk of tables. now i am asking same scenaruo what if users start to grow then it is possible to create small small table of same ets table?
Nicoo
Good question.
I don’t know but here are some inspirations for a beginning of an answer:
LostKobrakai
Registryalso uses sharded ets tables for scaling purposes.JILL24
yay, Registry or GenRegistry also create local ets table in each node if we start it in main supervisor. but here i am telling about a chat group like discord which handle that much guild members in each ets table. i am talking about breaking the big ets table into small small ets table in same node by sharding not in different node.
is it possible? i know it is possible but how?
hst337
etssharding is used not to increase size, it is used to increase speed of parallel lookups/updates to reduce lock contention. Do not use ets sharding unless you have a reason to do so.JILL24
i saying the same thing i want to increase the speed of parallel lookup because hypothetically if one ets table contains 250k users data which contains many complex fields then each time if i have to lookup or update then it will become problematic. so, i want to use sharding for breaking ets table(250k users) into small small ets table in same node.
hst337
Did you measure your lock contention on ets table? Did you measure your access time? Did you optimize your access patterns? Did you tune
*_concurrencyflags? Unless you do all of this, you have no reason to shard tables. ETS is build with concurrency in mind and it has pretty smart lock system which allows parallel access to separate chunks of the table, so sharding is required only when you have some exotic access pattern and you can guarantee on your level that the chunks you’ll split the table into will increase performancebenwilson512
This question doesn’t really work as a hypothetical. Sharping ets is a tactical performance optimization, the details have to be married to how it is actually used.
JILL24
i measure acess time and read_concurrency and it gets slower when more process like 50k process tried to connect 1 genserver for lookup from 1 ets table which contains 250k users. by using update_counte to limit number then aldo it gets slower and slower.
now i think i have no option but to use sharding, what do you think?