jarvism

jarvism

Hello, everyone!
I am having a really hard time wrapping my head around this one for some reason.
I want to get a token, store it in memory in a module, have it available for all the functions in the module, and update it when the token expires.
In other languages, I might do something like:

token = nil

def handle_token() do
  # Check if I already have a token
  if token do
    # If so, use it.
    token
  else
    # If not (or if it's expired), get a new one.
    token = Req.get(www.token.com)
  end
end

This is obviously oversimplified, but I think you can understand what I mean. What is the idiomatically correct way to do this in Elixir?
I have looked into using ETS for this, but it seems like a lot.

I look forward to your feedback, and thank you!

Showing Posts 1 to 4

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Simply put, you don’t do that in an FP language (though there are escape hatches like ETS indeed).

You’ll get better responses if you specify your original problem – and not how you want to solve it.

gpopides

gpopides

Are you looking how you can handle state? If yes you can use Agents for storing something simple (a string)

As mentioned, you cant do what you are trying because modules are not classes, they don’t contain state.

For that you need a GenServer (which agent is just more simplified)

hlx

hlx

A GenServer would be perfect for that. You can even make it so that the GenServer automatically refreshes the token every interval.

e.g.

defmodule TokenManager do
  use GenServer
  
  # Stick `TokenManager` in your Application's children
  def start_link(init_arg) do
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, init_arg, name: __MODULE__)
  end
  
  def token do
    GenServer.call(__MODULE__, :token)
  end
  
  def init(init_arg) do
    token = 1
    Process.send_after(self(), :refresh_token, :timer.seconds(2))
    {:ok, token}
  end
  
  def handle_call(:token, _from, token) do
    {:reply, token, token}
  end
  
  def handle_info(:refresh_token, old_token) do
    new_token = old_token + 1
    Process.send_after(self(), :refresh_token, :timer.seconds(2))
    {:noreply, new_token}
  end
end

Edit: untested code FYI

masudme09

masudme09

For a similar case, when I need to use and update something, I use the following kinda programming pattern. But as @hlx mentioned, Genserver might serve best for your case without further knowing the context of your original problem.

defmodule SomeModule do
@state %{token: nil}

def some_function(params, state) do
 state
end

def another_function(params, params2, state) do
state
end

def update_token(state) do
# update the token
%{token: updated_token}
end

end

So, I try to pass around states, between functions, so any update that happens in any function should be available to the next one. Not sure it serves your purpose, maybe you can add further context to it.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews