te_chris
Hey everyone. I’m working on a service that’s currently LV but will eventually have an app. The interaction will basically be the same. This has had me thinking about how I could avoid duplication with client/server interactions, while still offering a similar responsive/reactive experince on both platforms.
I’d like to avoid having to build a separate API (beyond bare necessities) and LV stack if possible so my question is: can I treat a channel as an ‘API’ interface that the LV and the App could both talk to and does anyone have any experience of this, advice/war stories they can share?
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly)
AI dream has many faces, but general...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
D4no0
By definition, what liveview does is interactive frontend without writing JS, or having a communication contract.
If you want to change this behavior, you will literally lose all the benefits liveview brings, and IMO is better to stick with a separate frontend with a separate API.
te_chris
I’m not talking about losing the behaviour, I’m talking about creating a consistent channel interface for sending events between client and server. LV is an abstraction on top of channels already.
D4no0
I would not classify liveview as an abstraction over channels, I would say that liveview uses phoenix channels to implement the desired behavior, namely abstraction of frontend interaction.
I don’t know these days, but back in the day liveview implementation was marked as internal and it is not recommended to tap into how it works, because implementation details might change in a future release.
te_chris
No I get that. LV is obviously sending its diffs and such and I wouldn’t want to touch it. I’m just more wondering about something like a separte channel for key persistent state mutations or similar. So you can centralise a channel api between clients for things like e.g add-blah, blah-updated. Maybe more like a shared CQRS or similar? I’m unsure. It just seems like duplication to define how these events are handled twice (once on the channel and once on the LVs).
D4no0
I don’t see a way to do this without writing custom JS, starting a phoenix channel is trivial currently or you could always use something like this: GitHub - Miserlou/live_json: LiveJSON - LiveView for JSON · GitHub .
LostKobrakai
That sounds rather wrong tbh. Event handlers in LV should handle the web ui specifics, not domain level functionality. You shouldn’t need to duplicate any logic to another API interface. That stuff should be in lower levels of your codebase. Copying boilerplate (e.g. calling into your core modules) is imo the right way to handle this, as eventual divergance of interfaces is to be expected.