anthonator

anthonator

Is it possible to create a shared connection pool that can be used across many repos?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

anthonator

anthonator OP

I attempted to create a naive implementation that would just delegate everything to DBConnection.Poolboy just to see if I could get something working. I assumed Ecto.Repo started the pool using DBConnection.Poolboy.start_link/2 but that doesn’t seem to be the case. It looks like DBConnection.Connection does a lot of heavy lifting but it’s not clear from the docs how it works.

Super basic, don’t laugh:

defmodule Data.Pool do
  @moduledoc false

  @behaviour DBConnection.Pool

  @registry Data.Pool.Registry

  defdelegate checkin(pool_ref, state, opts), to: DBConnection.Poolboy

  defdelegate checkout(pool, opts), to: DBConnection.Poolboy

  defdelegate child_spec(mod, opts, child_opts), to: DBConnection.Poolboy

  defdelegate disconnect(pool_ref, err, state, opts), to: DBConnection.Poolboy

  defdelegate ensure_all_started(opts, type), to: DBConnection.Poolboy

  defdelegate stop(pool_ref, err, state, opts), to: DBConnection.Poolboy

  def start_link(mod, opts) do
    case @registry.get() do
      [] ->
        @registry.put(DBConnection.Poolboy.start_link(mod, opts))
      [ pid ] ->
        { :ok, pid }
    end
  end
end
mbuhot

mbuhot

This is the reason I just share a repo between all umbrella apps, and declare the schemas separately in each app. Otherwise you can easily max out the 200 connection limit on an AWS db.t2.small instance :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

anthonator

anthonator OP

This is typically what I do and I believe most other people using umbrella apps do as well. For me, the problem arises when using tools like Postgres schemas. You can have multiple logical datastores within the same physical database which share a connection limit. In that scenario each application should have it’s own Repo with a shared connection pool.

Pus, you can’t generate your migrations within the contextually relevant applications. That’s the real problem! Makes my eye twitch.

unnawut

unnawut

@anthonator Just dropping by to say that your approach inspired me to figure out something similar.

I did just slightly differently without a new connection pool module (and thus no delegations).

defmodule DB.SharedConnectionPool do
  alias DBConnection.ConnectionPool

  def child_spec({mod, opts}) do
    opts = Keyword.put_new(opts, :name, pool_name(opts))
    Supervisor.Spec.worker(__MODULE__, [{mod, opts}])
  end

  def start_link({mod, opts}) do
    case GenServer.start_link(ConnectionPool, {mod, opts}, start_opts(opts)) do
      {:ok, pid} -> {:ok, pid}
      {:error, {:already_started, pid}} -> {:ok, pid}
      error -> error
    end
  end

  defp pool_name(opts) do
    case Keyword.fetch(opts, :shared_pool_id) do
      {:ok, pool} -> String.to_atom("#{__MODULE__}-#{pool}")
      :error -> __MODULE__
    end
  end

  # Exact same as `DBConnection.ConnectionPool`
  defp start_opts(opts) do
    Keyword.take(opts, [:name, :spawn_opt])
  end
end

And I have the repos configured like this:

config :my_app, MyApp.Repo,
  pool: DB.SharedConnectionPool,
  shared_pool_id: :my_shared_pool_id

config :my_second_app, MySecondApp.Repo,
  pool: DB.SharedConnectionPool,
  shared_pool_id: :my_shared_pool_id

This way makes it also possible to specifically configure what repos should share a pool, and multiple shared pools can be created.

The downside is that it still relies on the connection info from the configs, which means if two repos with different configs share the same pool, there’s a race condition and one repo config will be taken to start the pool. But otherwise this approach has the least impact on how Ecto works.


Full code here: Allow DB connection pool sharing between repos by unnawut · Pull Request #853 · omgnetwork/ewallet · GitHub (disclaimer: I’m employed by this project)

dylan-chong

dylan-chong

With db_connection 2.4.0, i get this error

** (UndefinedFunctionError) function Solve.Utils.DB.SharedConnectionPool.checkout/3 is undefined or private
    (utils 0.1.0) Solve.Utils.DB.SharedConnectionPool.checkout(#PID<0.13239.0>, [#PID<0.13592.0>, #PID<0.13591.0>], [log: #Function<14.6198013/1 in Ecto.Adapters.SQL.with_log/3>, source: "query_history_v1", timeout: 15000, pool_size: 10, pool: Solve.Utils.DB.SharedConnectionPool])
    (db_connection 2.4.0) lib/db_connection.ex:1082: DBConnection.checkout/3
    (db_connection 2.4.0) lib/db_connection.ex:1407: DBConnection.run/6
    (db_connection 2.4.0) lib/db_connection.ex:574: DBConnection.parsed_prepare_execute/5
    (db_connection 2.4.0) lib/db_connection.ex:566: DBConnection.prepare_execute/4
    (ecto_sql 3.5.4) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:690: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.execute!/4
    (ecto_sql 3.5.4) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:682: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.execute/5
    (ecto 3.5.6) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:224: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.execute/4
    (ecto 3.5.6) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:19: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.all/3
    (saved_query_service 0.1.0) lib/query_service.ex:55: Solve.SavedQueryService.fetch_history/2
    (query_runner 0.1.0) lib/query_runner/tidy_history_task.ex:7: Solve.QueryRunner.TidyHistory.run/0
    (elixir 1.11.3) lib/task/supervised.ex:90: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2
    (stdlib 3.14) proc_lib.erl:226: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

Adding:

  defdelegate checkout(pool, callers, opts), to: ConnectionPool

to the connection pool here Sharing a DBConnection pool with multiple Ecto Repo's - #5 by unnawut seems to fix the issue

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews