cheerfulstoic

cheerfulstoic

I spent quite a bit of time trying to find a good configuration to build / test my Elixir app in CircleCI and then push an image to Docker Hub. It is probably a somewhat common thing, but I did a lot of research and trial and error moving around different steps until I got it to a good point. I wanted to share in case in ended up being useful to somebody else searching Google :grin:

Features:

  • Uses Circle CI caching for dependencies / compiled files
  • Runs tests + code checks (using ex_check)
  • Builds and pushes images to Docker Hub:
    • One tag with the Circle CI build number
    • One tag with the git sha
    • One tag with latest (if the current branch is main)
  • A Dockerfile is included which uses Docker’s multi-stage builds and Elixir releases so that the resulting images (for this simple app) ends up around 12.5 MB

I’ve made it available in a GitHub Gist:

Comments welcome here or there

Showing Posts 1 to 2

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Thank you for sharing this! I’ll be trying it in the future.

Have you considered making other images not based on Alpine btw? I might try your Dockerfile with Ubuntu 20.04 which is one of the smaller images.

cheerfulstoic

cheerfulstoic OP

Yeah, absolutely try it with something else. I just used alpine because that’s what the example that I started from used :grin:

One note: at first I had alpine for the first stage but didn’t use it for the second stage and there were problems that I didn’t understand until I had done some searching around. So whatever you choose, I think you need to make sure both steps are using the same base linux distro

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Guides/Tuts Top

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews