kigila

kigila

Pfew…,I had a hard time trying to follow the book Functional web developement _elixir_otp_phoenix by Lance Halvorsen, and I gotta tell ya. Chat GPT have no clue about these new features in the latest releases. I am a nubie to elixir and phoenix. But I like legos and dont mind to ready a 400 pages book in 3 days. I went the old way. Reading docs and trying , failing, rereading and and trying again.

Now I have the game of Islands working with phoenix 1.7.2.
I feel like I learn a lot. And I now undestand the core ideas of phoenix and 3 OTP behaviours , Genserver , Supervisor and Application.
I start to question if nubies should ever use AI to learn to code.
Peace.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

That’s not surprising given Chat GPT works on years old input. At that time much of the new stuff of phoenix 1.7 didn’t exist yet.

KristerV

KristerV

this is a great question. one that i ponder myself. interesting to know your experience.

for sure i can imagine that if you can’t code yourself then it’s impossible to know if the AI output makes any sense or not, so it would probably waste a lot of time and save none.

i’m also curious if after you’ve got the basics down the AI would be of more help? i use it mostly to write algos that would take time for me to figure out, but other coders have done many times over. and rarely do i go looking for ideas on what/how to do anything, which is what a junior would perhaps need.

anyway i’d love to hear more once you get even deeper into this.

wceolin

wceolin

For the record: Bing AI is aware of the latest releases. I’ve been using it a lot recently.

GazeIntoTheAbyss

GazeIntoTheAbyss

ChatGPT can work for some things in Elixir, but a lot of Phoenix / Liveview will just confuse it because of a lot of the updates just randomly change the syntax orders.

It will do stuff like “<%= example %>” instead of {example} which will cause errors.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews