mattmower

mattmower

I’ve twice now created a parser that hangs, that is given a finite input string a call to parse_xxx it never returns and the beam.smp process is consuming ~100% of a core.

I’m usually making a small, seemingly innocuous, change to the string being parsed that causes the hang.

Should this actually be possible?

Thanks.

Matt

Showing Posts 1 to 4

trarbr

trarbr

I have seen it hang if I wrote a parser that would infinitely recurse. Unfortunately I can’t recall the details, but I fixed it by changing my parser. If you can’t find any infinite recursion happening, it might be a bug in NimbleParsec?

Anyway, if you want to guard against the parser hanging, you might want to wrap the parsing in a Task

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Yes, it can loop forever. Usually the culprit is repeat. Its docs has warnings on when such cases may happen:

If you are still running into loops, then a minimal parser that reproduces the failure would be welcome.

mattmower

mattmower OP

Thank you Jose.

I had read that but hadn’t appreciated what it was saying. I do have a few cases where repeat and optional get combined and I suspect this is what is happening.

Part of the problem is that I find my error handling strategy is “fiddle with it a bit” because I find the error information difficult to work with. Any guidance about (or good examples of) that would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Matt

mattmower

mattmower OP

As a further note here, in the (much simpler) parser combinator library I built called Ergo I have implemented cycle detection and the parser will automatically halt with a trace of the history of rules. A bit primitive right now but I’ve found it useful when playing with a new grammar.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews