srowley

srowley

This feels like a dumb question but I am stuck. Using Explorer I want to count the number of rows for each group (groups may be defined by one column, or multiple columns).

I would think this would be:

alias Explorer.{Datasets, DataFrame}

Datasets.fossil_fuels()
|> DataFrame.group_by("country")
|> DataFrame.summarise(country: [:count])

And the result would be a data frame like:

#Explorer.DataFrame<
  Polars[222 x 2]
  country string ["AFGHANISTAN", "ALBANIA", "ALGERIA", "ANDORRA", "ANGOLA", ...]
  country_count integer [5, 5, 5, 5, 5, ...]
>

Instead I get this error:

%Inspect.Error{
  message: "got RuntimeError with message \"Polars(NotFound(\\\"country_count\\\"))\" 
  while inspecting %{__struct__: Explorer.DataFrame, data: %{__struct__:  
  Explorer.PolarsBackend.DataFrame, resource: #Reference<0.3895999949.566099982.184593>},
  dtypes: %{\"country\" => :string, \"country_count\" => :string}, groups: [], names: 
  [\"country\", \"country_count\"]}"
}

It works fine if I group and count by different variables, e.g.,

Datasets.fossil_fuels()
|> DataFrame.group_by("country")
|> DataFrame.summarise(total: [:count])

returns:

#Explorer.DataFrame<
  Polars[222 x 2]
  country string ["AFGHANISTAN", "ALBANIA", "ALGERIA", "ANDORRA", "ANGOLA", ...]
  total_count integer [5, 5, 5, 5, 5, ...]
>

but it seems odd that I have to summarise an arbitrary other variable. What am I missing?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

NduatiK

NduatiK

From the docs:

When the dataframe has grouping variables, operations are performed per group

You can think of this as Explorer creating sub-dataframes using the grouping variable and applying operations on each group. But importantly, the sub-dataframe does not contain the variable any more (since it does not vary) and the variable cannot be used any longer.


                                 ┌───────────────────────────────────────────┐
  ┌──────────────────┐           │  Country 1    Country 2      Country N    │
  │                  │  group_by │ ┌─────────┐   ┌───────────┐  ┌──────────┐ │
  │   Fossil Fuels   ├───────────► │ Sub-DF  │   │ Sub-DF    │  │  Sub-DF  │ │
  │                  │           │ │         │   │           │  │          │ │
  └──────────────────┘           │ └─────────┘   └───────────┘  └──────────┘ │
                                 └───────────────────────────────────────────┘

srowley

srowley OP

As of version 0.3.0, Explorer.Series.summarise_with/2 is a bit more flexible:

alias Explorer.{Datasets, DataFrame, Series}

Datasets.fossil_fuels()
|> DataFrame.group_by("country")
|> DataFrame.summarise_with(&[country_count: Series.count(&1["country"])])

returns

#Explorer.DataFrame<
  Polars[222 x 2]
  country string ["AFGHANISTAN", "ALBANIA", "ALGERIA", "ANDORRA", "ANGOLA", ...]
  country_count integer [5, 5, 5, 5, 5, ...]
>
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews