ravernkoh

ravernkoh

Hi! I intend to build a simple web crawler in Elixir, and since a web crawler is really just a pipeline of url-queue → fetcher → parser (with some filters and rate limiters in between) I have decided to use GenStage for this. I have already built the url queue. Now, I’m thinking of how to build the fetcher.

Obviously, the fetcher will need to perform HTTP requests in parallel, and since there is a limit to how many I should do at a time (bandwidth right…? correct me if I’m wrong about this), I should use some sort of pooling system. I have looked at ConsumerSupervisor in the GenStage docs, but it is only for the last part, the consumer portion.

How should I go about implementing this, where the fetcher stage is a producer_consumer (So i cant use the ConsumerSupervisor)?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

mischov

mischov

For some ideas you might check out Crawlie, which I believe uses GenStage.

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

If your crawler wants to grow to become more sophisticated, I’d suggest looking into Event Sourcing: By persisting the results of each stage independently, you could at some point decide that the parser can be smarter (such as extract more info) without having to re-crawl all previously-crawled resources.

As for implementing the fetcher stage itself, I think Crawlie’s UrlManager indeed gives some good suggestions :slight_smile: . Great tip, @mischov!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews