r00ster
Hi,
I’d like to create a form in Phoenix 1.7 with one text field that has no underlying changeset. Previously I’d use form_for along with text_input. Now, I guess, I should use .simple_form but I don’t know what should be there in the for attribute. When I try to use @conn, as in the 1.6, I get the error: function Plug.Conn.fetch/2 is undefined (Plug.Conn does not implement the Access behaviour. If you are using get_in/put_in/update_in, you can specify the field to be accessed using Access.key!/1).
What is the proper way to create an unbound form in Phoenix 1.7?
Thanks
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
patrickdm
Hello, from the Phoenix.HTML.Form — Phoenix.HTML v4.3.0 docs, it looks like you can use it with a Map:
hth
r00ster
Hi,
thanks for the quick reply. This is exactly what I had before I started migrating to 1.7. Is this still the way that it should be done?
patrickdm
Sorry, I didn’t write any form since 1.5.7,
.
I’d just give @conn.params a try
codeanpeace
.simple_formis a component defined within thecore_components.exgenerated viamix phx.gen.newand is a simple wrapper around thePhoenix.Component.form/1function provided by LiveView.source: Phoenix.Component.form/1
r00ster
I see I’m mixing a couple of things here… To clarify more: I have a ‘standard’ (not LiveView) page and I wonder what is the proper way to create such form in Phoenix 1.7. Sorry for confusion.
codeanpeace
A bit further down in the docs, there’s an example noting that an
actionattribute is required for standard forms.source: Example: outside LiveView (regular HTTP requests)
GazeIntoTheAbyss
I’m curious on this as well. Currently I just cheat and make a form component with no changeset. For example for creating a form to sort content based on when it was created I can use the below.
Heex:
The ex:
I pretty much create a form without a changeset, then use a handle_event to deal with the input. I do similar for things like search inputs as well, but my handle_event passes the query value to a function for the redirect.
I’d also like a nice neat example of a changeset free form as I’m pretty sure I’m doing this either wrong or ineffeciently. It works, but feels off.
kokolegorille
I think it looks like this…
You use an empty map as a changeset. Then in the form…
As You use normal controllers, it might look a little bit different, especially phx-submit won’t be available. But it should be the way to have a form without changeset.
BTW it’s how phx.gen.auth does when You select non live…
codeanpeace
Seems reasonable to me,
.formautomatically sets the:forassign to%{}by default when it’s not explicitly given.https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_view/blob/0058afeab2f2ad500b7285368c639a0d7bf8f2a0/lib/phoenix_component.ex#L2130-L2138
If you wanted to show which option is currently selected, you could then explicitly set a form assign so that the input component can pull the field value off of the form when generating the options via
<%= Phoenix.HTML.Form.options_for_select(@options, @value) %>.