sym_num
I am creating a Prolog interpreter to learn Elixir. This is not practical. It is a toy program.
https://github.com/sasagawa888/Prolog
Example: (from PAIP, Peter Norvig)
?- assert(likes(kim,robin)).
true
?- assert(likes(sandy,lee)).
true
?- assert(likes(sandy,kim)).
true
?- assert(likes(robin,cats)).
true
?- assert((likes(sandy,X) :- likes(X,cats))).
true
?- assert((likes(kim,X) :- likes(X,lee),likes(X,kim))).
true
?- assert(likes(X,X)).
true
?- listing.
likes(kim,robin)
likes(sandy,lee)
likes(sandy,kim)
likes(robin,cats)
likes(sandy,X) :- likes(X,cats)
likes(kim,X) :- likes(X,lee)likes(X,kim)
likes(X,X)
true
?- likes(sandy,Who).
Who = lee;
Who = kim;
Who = robin;
Who = sandy;
Who = cats;
Who = sandy;
false
?-halt.
goodbye
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
kip
This super exciting (for me). I’ve been re-reading Prolog with the idea of either implementing a Prolog-like DSL, or maybe an interpreter. I’ve only got as far as starting to research how to write a Horne clause theorem solver (really, just started), So this is going to be a great project for me to follow.
sym_num
Thank you for your reply.
I’m glad to be interested.
Thank you very much.
datadrover
Of tangential relevance because it’s not Elixir, but Erlog might be worth looking at. While it seems not to have been worked on for a few years, it has good pedigree (@rvirding). I also recall that @zkessin had some interest in Prolog on the Beam.
Beyond exploration, I can see a possible use case (actually considered doing it some time ago): As a triage frontend for a Prolog database running something like SWI Prolog.
zkessin
Erlog is pretty cool, but could use some love. If I evere were to be in a position to sponsor someone to work on open source it would be on my list of things to work on (Not happening anytime soon) but I would love to chat about it
datadrover
Likewise. Maybe sometime in the future I will have time and resource to revisit it. The application I was looking at had no business model and would probably have required public funding - unlikely as things stand right now.
sym_num
Thank you for the information of Erlog.
rvirding
Yes, I haven’t worked on Erlog for a while but it is has not died. It has reached a certain level and I have left it there. It does implement a proper subset of standard prolog but of course it could be extended. The next step could be a rework of the interpreter maybe compiling the code a bit to improve speed.
Doing an elixir front-end to it would be relatively simple as the interface and internal data structures are quite straight forward. It is just that no one has asked for one yet.
There was a fork where someone else reworked the database to handle large tables but it used ETS and it wasn’t possible to make the database behave exactly as the prolog standard. Which was one of my requirements. There is a simple ETS interface which could be extended with more features.
mythicalprogrammer
LOL, we’ve come in full circle.
I’ve left Erlang because I was meh with the Prolog’s syntax for Elixir.
And now we have a project for prolog written in Elixir.
sym_num
I appreciate the talent of Jose.
Elixir has given modern syntax to the capabilities of Erlang.
If great talent gives Prolog modern syntax, Prolog may come back.
emacstheviking
Nice! I love Prolog and considered the same idea a few years ago. Recent months have seen me learning Mercury too, I have just about finished wrapping the SDL2 media library with it so I can write games in Mercury.
Creating a clean Prolog in Elixir is my kind of mad idea. I’ll check out the git pages and have a look!
Sean.